The Ikelite Panasonic G85 G80 Housing allows you to safely take your Panasonic Lumix DMC-G85 to underwater depths up to 61.0 m (200 feet). It is also compatible with the DMC-G80 Mirrorless MFT camera and gives access to almost all camera functions, including the use of external strobes and Ikelite flash units.
Please note that this item is not supplied with a lens port or camera.
Key Features: Ikelite Panasonic Lumix G85 G80 Housing
- Depth rating: 61.0 m (200 feet)
- Ikelite 5-pin sync connector for optional strobe
- Built-in TTL circuitry
- Mechanical controls
- Access to virtually all camera functions
- White ABS/polycarbonate body, clear back
- Interchangeable lens port system (Ships without required lens port)
Capture sharp underwater photos and video at depths up to 61.0 m with this hand-built, corrosion- resistant camera housing which features an array of ergonomic push-buttons, knobs, dials, and levers which give access to almost all camera functions (except diopter adjustment control, flash open lever, and focus mode lever).
It has a white/grey construction to reflect sunlight and keep the camera cool on the water's surface. The back is clear to allow you to monitor the effectiveness of the O-ring seal and see the controls. The O-ring seal is specially designed to prevent twisting and stretching while also lacking the kind of grooves that may trap debris and compromise its efficacy.
An optional vacuum kit (#47012) may be purchased and installed into the spare accessory port to remove any water ingress.
Controls and Handling
- Over-sized, ergonomic, mechanical push-buttons, knurled knobs/dials, and levers are easily operable with or without thick gloves
- Controls afford access to all camera functions except for diopter adjustment control, flash open lever, and focus mode lever
- Shutter lever is highly sensitive and curved, and can be elongated with optional Trigger Extension (#4077.93) to put it well within reach when quick-release handle is attached
- Anodized video recording start/stop button is bright red for easy identification
- Push-buttons have been redesigned to reduce weight and salt build-up
- Rear control symbols are laser-engraved so as not to peel or fade off with time
- Supplied Supereye Viewfinder offers enhanced view of camera's OVF when seen through dive mask, and can be removed quickly and easily to enable attachment of optional Straight Magnified Viewfinder (#6890) or 45° Magnified Viewfinder Type 2 (#6891.2)
- The camera's large, bright LCD monitor is visible edge-to-edge through the rear of the housing
- 2 x 1/4"-20 threaded mounts on the bottom permit attachment to optional aluminium tray with grip handle(s), which supports optional lighting arm(s) for strobe(s) or video light(s)
Lens Port System
- Ships without a required lens port
- Accepts various, interchangeable dome and flat ports for a broad array of zoom, wide-angle, and macro lenses
- For full compatibility, see DLM Port Chart
- Simply press port on and tighten 3 thumb screws
Important: Strobe Use
The camera's built-in flash cannot be used with this housing
However, use of an optional, external strobe will be very helpful once you descend further than 4.6 - 6.1 m (15 - 20') underwater, except when shooting with colour filters on very clear days with bright sunlight.
Back to top
- A strobe restores hues that get absorbed by water, so your images are vibrant and accurate
- Try to stay no more than 3-4' away from subject to preserve natural colours in images
- Ikelite bulkhead with hot shoe connection and integrated TTL circuitry enables reliable electrical triggering of external strobes via sync cords
- The housing ships without a required sync cord and accepts the following: Ikelite-to-Ikelite TTL (#4103.51), Ikelite-to-Ikelite TTL Dual (#4103.52), Sea & Sea/INON-to-Ikelite Non-TTL (#4118.1), Sea & Sea/INON-to-Ikelite Non-TTL Dual (#4118.2), Nikonos SB-to-Ikelite Non-TTL (#4116.31), and Nikonos SB-to-Ikelite Non-TTL Dual (#4116.32)
- The circuitry is fine-tuned to Lumix G85 and G80's flash exposure protocol, allowing for most accurate exposure possible
- The circuitry is powered by the strobe, so there are no batteries to change and there is no maintenance to be done
- Exposure compensation in TTL mode is supported using camera's built-in control
- Ikelite DS strobes, such as DS50 (serial number 70000), 51, 125 (serial number 5000), 160, 161, and 200 (serial number 7163), are operable in TTL or manual mode
- Third-party strobes, such as those from Sea & Sea, INON, and Nikonos, are operable in manual mode only
- The housing provides direct electrical connection to camera's hot shoe
- Cord attachment is as easy as screwing in a light bulb, and threaded fit prevents accidental detachment during use
- Bulkhead connection has been moved to the top of the enclosure to keep cords out of the way and reduce strain on ends