Nikon D3200 + 18-55 VR Black
April 2012 - Today's attention will be on the new D3200, a worthy replacement to the extremely popular entry-level D3100 Digital SLR. This isn't just a camera for beginners though - with a 24.2 megapixel DX-format sensor and improved ISO range, it's an exciting addition to an already impressive Nikon DSLR range.Read more about the D3200... »
Key features of the Nikon D3200
- New to D-SLR photography? Guide Mode uses sample images and clear instructions to show you how to take great photos in a few simple steps.
- 24.2-MP DX-format CMOS sensor: capture sharp, detailed images with the 24.2-megapixel CMOS sensor. Big prints look superb and you can crop images without losing any detail.
- Go cinematic: make movies you’ll want to share with D-movie. With the camera’s large image sensor and high ISO, you can record sharp Full HD (1080p) video clips in any light.
- High ISO (100–6400): take great images in low light or sharp shots of fast-moving subjects. Features an Auto ISO setting, and ISO is extendable up to 12800.
- Razor-sharp 11-point autofocus system: enjoy fast and precise autofocus coverage throughout the frame whether your subject is off-center, moving fast or completely unpredictable.
- Wireless Mobile Adapter: use the optional WU-1a to share images directly from the D3200 to a smartphone or tablet, or to control the camera remotely via your smart device*.
* This feature requires use of the WU-1a Wireless Mobile Adapter that currently supports Android devices only.
- EXPEED 3: Nikon’s fast and powerful image processing engine provides high-speed operation, remarkably clear images with excellent color reproduction, and enhanced movie recording.
- Scene Recognition System: let the D3200 help you capture superior images. Nikon’s Scene Recognition System will meticulously analyze the scene you’re shooting and adjust the focus, exposure and white balance for optimum results.
- 4 fps continuous shooting: shoot action at a swift four frames per second and capture fleeting movements or expressions at exactly the right moment.
- Photo retouch menu: enhance your photos in-camera with a range of tools and effects. Retouch tools include Resize, Quick Retouch and Straighten. Effects include Selective Color, Color Sketch, and Miniature Effect, which makes distant subjects look like scale models.
- Active D-Lighting: capture more detail in high-contrast lighting conditions. Nikon’s Active D-Lighting automatically captures the details in both dark and bright areas for stunning images with natural contrast.
- Smart autofocus for movies: enjoy continuous autofocus (AF) when you shoot D-movies. Full-time servo AF (AF-F) and subject-tracking AF maintain the focus when you shoot moving subjects. Face-priority AF is ideal for filming events where you want to relax and let the camera focus on faces.
- Extensive movie options: you can record Full HD (1080p) movies in 30p, 25p and 24p, and the camera supports use of Nikon’s ME-1 stereo microphone. In-camera edit functions let you perform tasks such as setting the start and end point of your movie. A mini HDMI output enables playback on an HDTV.
- NIKKOR lenses: take advantage of Nikon’s legendary NIKKOR lenses to capture images with vivid color, striking contrast and crisp detail, or to experiment with cinematic effects. Use fast prime lenses for stunning portraits, micro lenses for life-size close-ups or telephoto lenses for distant subjects.
- A joy to use: the D3200 lightweight body and superior ergonomics make it a pleasure to shoot with. A secure grip makes the camera comfortable to hold. Dedicated one-touch buttons for frequently used functions like D-Movie, or live view, make it easy to operate.
The Nikon D3200 Sample Images
The Nikon Sample images can be found here on the Nikon website, or see our blog post.
Nikon D3200 - 2 Year Warranty
To take advantage of the extended warranty you are required to register the product within 30 days of purchase. The camera or kit must have been distributed by Nikon UK & Republic of Ireland, through an official UK retailer such as Wex Photo Video.
For details on how to register your product online please click here. Alternatively you can complete the in-box warranty slip or telephone 0800 408 5060 (Nikon UK).
How does it compare?
The biggest changes are to the pixel count:
|Max extendable ISO
|Screen (dot resolution)
||3.0" LCD (230k)
||3.0" LCD (921k)
||3.0" LCD (921k)
||3.0" LCD (920k)
The key features in detail
1. A new DX-format CMOS image sensor, developed by Nikon with an effective pixel count of 24.2-million pixels, and the EXPEED 3 image-processing engine enable capture of high-quality images and shooting at high sensitivities
The D3200 is equipped with a new Nikon DX-format CMOS image sensor, developed by Nikon with an effective pixel count of 24.2-million pixels, and the EXPEED 3 image-processing engine. Its predecessor, the D3100, offered a pixel count of 14.2-million pixels and standard ISO sensitivities of ISO 100–3200. The D3200 surpasses the D3100 with regard to both with its significant increase in pixel count and support for standard sensitivities of ISO 100–6400 and a Hi 1 setting equivalent to ISO 12800.
In order to maximize the potential of the image sensor's 24.2-million pixels, the camera is equipped with the EXPEED 3 image-processing engine, which was developed exclusively by Nikon and represents the culmination of the extensive image-processing know how and technologies that Nikon has cultivated over its long history. This image-processing engine has been optimized for digital SLR cameras, and its capabilities for superior high-speed performance enable faithful rendering, vivid color reproduction, and expression of a broad dynamic range. For example, it effectively suppresses noise with advanced noise-reduction processing for still images captured at high sensitivities under dim lighting, all while preserving the definition and sharpness of the image sensor's 24.2-million pixels. Special noise-reduction processing designed especially for movies maintains crisp, clear outlines in movies recorded in low-light situations.
2. A refined Guide mode that is even easier to use
The D3200 is equipped with the Guide mode that was so popular with the D3000 and D3100. Guide mode displays instructions for shooting according to the situation or type of scene or subject, playing back and retouching images, as well as applying all types of settings in a manner that is more intuitive, making camera operation easier than ever before.
More assist images and text explanations of scenes added
The number of assist images, also built into the D3100, used to show the results users can expect from camera settings prior to shooting has been increased, and text explanations of scene details and application of settings have been added. Guide mode makes it fun and easy for users to capture the beautiful images they want, whether they choose a specific type of situation, such as Night portrait or Close-ups, or a technique they would like to apply, such as Soften backgrounds or Show water flowing.
New options added to Advanced operation
Advanced operation is one of the first choices available to users when Guide mode is activated. New options, including Capture reds in sunsets, with which the camera adjusts white balance, Take bright photos and Take dark (low key) photos, with which the camera adjusts exposure, and Reduce blur, with which auto ISO sensitivity control is used, have been added to Advanced operation with the D3200. These new options not only expand the range of scenes and situations with which users can effectively capture beautiful photos, but also provide a means for users to become accustomed to various camera functions and the results they achieve at their own pace.
3. A large and clear 3-in., approx. 921k-dot TFT LCD monitor with wide viewing angle for live view shooting
The D3200 is equipped with a live view button. By simply pressing this button, live view mode is activated. In live view mode, users can choose one of four AF-area modes: Normal-area AF, Wide-area AF, Subject-tracking AF, or Face-priority AF.
4. Equipped with the D-Movie function that enables recording of 1920 x 1080/30p full HD movies with superior picture quality
By simply pressing the movie-record button just above the shutter-release button, users can enjoy the D-Movie function that records full-HD movies with superior picture quality. Settings such as aperture value applied in Guide mode can also be applied to movie recording, and the ability to take advantage of the unique characteristics of each lens in the rich NIKKOR lineup, from wide-angle to telephoto lenses enable movie imaging expression that is only possible with digital SLR cameras.
The D3200 also offers Full-time-servo AF (AF-F), a focus mode with which the camera focuses continuously to keep moving subjects in focus with movie recording. It also offers Face-priority AF and Subject-tracking AF AF-area modes with movie recording. Face-priority AF is effective with recording of portrait-like movies, and Subject-tracking AF tracks a subject as it moves through the frame.
What's more, recorded movies can not only be viewed in the camera monitor, but they can also be edited using the camera. Unnecessary portions can be cut from the beginning and/or end of movie files, and individual movie frames can be saved as still JPEG images. With the D3200, movie editing operation has been improved. The Start point and End point options for movie editing are displayed on the same menu screen, enabling simultaneous trimming of unnecessary portions at the beginning and end of movies, and the results of editing can be previewed before the edited movie is saved. These improvements make editing simpler by giving users a better idea of the results they can expect. In addition, the D3200 also supports connection of an external stereo microphone, which enables recording of stereo sound with movies.
5. Support for collaboration with smart devices (Android) for wireless transfer and remote shooting
With use of the Wireless Mobile Adapter WU-1a, Images captured with the D3200 can be transferred to smartphones, tablets, and other smart devices over a wireless connection, and smart devices can be used as a remote control for shooting with the view through the lens mounted on the camera and various shooting and settings information (live view display) displayed in the smart device screen (remote recording of movies is not supported). Collaboration between digital SLR cameras and smart devices provides new ways for users to enjoy shooting, viewing, and sharing photographs.
Back to top
Buy Now Pay Later
With our no deposit Buy Now Pay Later option, pay nothing for six months when you spend £250 or more, then either settle the cash price in full by paying a £29.00 settlement fee, or choose to spread the cost over 36 months at 19.9% APR Representative. Please see the repayment example below to see how much purchasing this item on finance would cost.
|Item Value (Cash Price)
|Total Amount Credit
||35 x £10.18
|Total Amount Payable
|Annual Rate of Interest
Are you eligible for finance?
Applicants must be:
- Aged 18 years or older from the application date
- In permanent UK residence for a minimum of three years
- Fulfil at least one of the following employment criteria:
- In regular, permanent employment.
- Retired from regular employment - With a minimum age of 50.
- Not working through disability.
Note: All applicants will be subject to a credit reference check by the lender.
Credit is subject to application and status. Warehouse Express Ltd trading as Wex Photographic act as credit broker and not the lender. Barclays Partner Finance act as the lender.
Can I repay early? If so how?
No repayments are scheduled in the initial six-month deferral period. However, it is possible to pay off the loan, either by way of a lump sum or in smaller amounts. If the loan is fully repaid within the six-month deferral period, then no interest is payable, but a £29.00 early-settlement will be incurred. Such repayments may be made to Barclays Partner Finance by cheque, debit card or standing order. Unfortunately it is not possible to set up a direct debit within the deferral period. Further information on how to make such repayments will be set out in the loan agreement pack provided by Barclays Partner Finance.
What happens if I don't repay within the first six months (deferral period)?
Following the six month deferral period, Barclays Partner Finance will initiate a monthly direct debit payment for the remaining duration of the loan. Interest will be charged at a rate of 19.9% APR on outstanding balances (backdated to the first date of the loan). Late payment penalties and early repayment charges will apply from this point. Barclays Partner Finance will send a reminder letter approximately one month before the six month deferral period is due to elapse. Note: If you chose to spread the cost and pay monthly, interest is charged from the start of the loan, not from the start of the repayment period.
What will I receive from the finance provider (lender)?
Barclays Partner Finance will send a loan agreement pack approximately four weeks after delivery of the goods, confirming that the account has been activated and, from this point, it is possible to make repayments against the loan.
For further information on how our finance product work, see our Finance help section.
Back to top
† Once your application has been accepted, usually within minutes, we will immediately dispatch your equipment.