The Sony FDR-AX1 High Definition Professional Camcorder is a high-end, professional 4K video camera which gives videographers four times the resolution and detail of a Full HD camera. The Sony AX1 records smooth 4K/HD video in XAVC S format, which was developed for consumer usage based on the professional XAVC 4K/HD. The XAVC S format allows for longer recording times, storing almost two hours of 4k video on a 64GB XQD memory card, making 4K recording easier and more convenient. The high-quality Sony G-Lens with Optical Steady Shot offers a broad zoom range from wide-angle to an impressive 20x zoom (31.5-630mm). The FDR-AX1 features three ND filters for adjusting the amount of light entering the lens. Built into the FDR-AX1 is a high-performance microphone designed to catch every sound and the two XLR terminals allow the connection of two pro-quality mics to be attached. The two convenient XQD card slots give you ample of space for your recordings.
The key features
- A giant step forward with 4K resolution - Capture scenes with four times the detail of Full HD, for realism that's beyond anything you’ve experienced before
- See every scene come alive - Shoot detail-packed video with a pro-grade image processor delivering 3840x2160 resolution
- Keeps everything smooth and sharp - Record 50p movies at full resolution for ultra defined footage, even when panning or shooting moving subjects
- From panoramas to close-ups - Take a variety of shots with a high quality Sony G lens, offering a broad range from wide-angle to 20x optical zoom
- Inspired by professionals - Records 4K and HD movies in XAVC S, compressing files to capture more footage than the professional XAVC format
- One cable is all you need - Connect up to your 4K TV using a single HDMI cable and enjoy the razor sharp detail of 4K with over 8 million pixels on screen
- Shoot high quality HD at 50Mbps - With XAVC S you can record in high quality Full HD at 50Mbps, enhancing detail with sharper definition and richer colours
- See more vivid, lifelike colours - Watch your movie on a Triluminos display and see truer colours, particularly reds, greens, and blues, and natural skin tones too
- High speed record and play - Two XQD™ card slots give you all you need to shoot and enjoy 4K video at speed, with relay recording for switching between media
- Boost your soundtrack - Connect up pro-grade microphones to the XLR terminals and record movies in superior audio quality
- Manual zoom and focus - Independent zoom, focus, and iris rings enable fast zooming, swift focusing, and easy focus adjustment
- Control your light - Choose from three ND filters, for adjusting the amount of light entering the image sensor from the lens, and four filter settings
- Fine tune for bright days - When recording in bright conditions, adjust the gain to negative values for optimum gain setting and reduced noise
- Go for a cinematic look - Create your own movie style by combining up to five paint functions – white balance, gamma, detail, skin detail, and matrix
- Quickly access functions - Allocate your favourite functions to one of 7 ASSIGN buttons for rapid one touch access, no menus required
- Start, stop: all so easy - There are start/stop buttons on the side of the grip and on the handle, which also features a zoom button for extra convenience
- Steer clear of excessive brightness - During recording, a Zebra function highlights overly bright areas with stripes in the LCD and viewfinder so avoiding whiteouts
- Highlights areas in sharp focus - Peaking makes it easier to spot where the shot is in focus so you can adjust levels and choose the right peaking for your shot
- Centre your image - Easily see the centre of your shot at a glance with a handy centre marker in the LCD or viewfinder
- Fine tune colour - Select from four types of colour bars to aid colour adjustment when playing images on a TV or monitor
Video: Get the scoop on the 4K AX1
The features in more detail
Capture 4K/60p video that far exceeds HD resolution
Playback 4K content captured on the AX1 on a compatible1 4K TV by simply connecting the two devices with supplied HDMI cable. Thanks to original Sony technology, Sony BRAVIA TVs especially bring out the full quality of 4K/60p recordings. Full HD monitors can also be used to enjoy this content by simply changing the menu HDMI output settings to 1920 x 1080.
Professional image processor for real-time 4K / 60 fps recording
An extraordinary image processor, identical to those in 4K camcorders used by professionals, rapidly processes signals transmitted from the CMOS sensor and finalizes images. In processing the vast 4K data in real time at 60p, the processor achieves four times the resolution of the HD format. This processor not only features high-performance noise reduction technology for better image quality, it is also specifically tuned for the AX1 so it delivers image processing performance that accelerates the evolution of camcorders.
Built-in mic w/2x additional Pro XLR jacks for external inputs
In addition to a high-performance internal microphone, the AX1 features two external XLR jacks for connecting external microphones that can also be used to record superior-quality balanced audio synchronized to the video. You can also mix audio from recordings made using the internal microphone and externally connected microphones, respectively.
View 4K 60P video on compatible BRAVIA® TVs w/supplied HDMI® cable
Playback 4K content captured on the FDR-AX1 on a 4K TV by simply connecting the two devices with supplied HDMI® cable. Thanks to original Sony technology, Sony BRAVIA® TVs especially bring out the full quality of 4K/60p recordings. Full HD monitors can also be used to enjoy this content by simply changing the menu HDMI output settings to 1920 x 1080.
1/2.3” 8.3MP Exmor R® CMOS image sensor
Sony’s unique Exmor R® CMOS sensor is essential to the stunning image quality that the FDR-AX1 achieves. Its back-illuminated structure featuring wiring layers on the back of a photodiode (light receiving element) dramatically boosts low-light sensitivity for shooting better, more lifelike images even in dim lighting. Sony’s cutting-edge technology also makes the camera nimble at reading massive 4K data at 60 fps.
3 ND filters and 5 paint functions for expressive cinematic looks
The AX1 features three ND filters for adjusting the amount of light entering the image sensor from the lens. There are four filter settings: Off (Clear), ¼ filter, 1/16 filter and 1/64 filter. These filter settings give users the ability to adjust to light conditions, while maintaining desired shutter angle and aperture even on bright and sunny days. Six paint functions (white, offset white, gamma, detail, skin detail and matrix) can be combined and adjusted in the paint menu to create expressive movie styling and cinematic looks.
Two XQD card slots for high-speed 4K recording and playback
The AX1 uses XQD media card for smooth, high-speed reading and writing of 4K video and features two XQD media slots. A relay recording feature makes it possible to lengthen recording by automatically switching between two or more media. The AX1 is compatible with following types of XQD media cards: XQD media card S-series XQD media card H-series XQD media card N-series.
High-quality XAVC-S up to 150 Mbps 4K / 50Mbps HD recording
High quality XAVC-S can be recorded to 150mbps. Additionally, there is also an option to record very high quality Full HD at 50mbps with the FDR-AX1.
XAVC-S codec allows extended 4K/HD video recording
The FDR-AX1 records 4K/HD movies in the XAVC-S format, which was developed for consumer usage based on the professional XAVC 4K/HD format. XAVC-S uses MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 Long GOP for video and linear PCM for audio compression, while saving files in an MP4 wrapper. The XAVC-S codec allows longer recording times within a given media capacity than XAVC, making 4K recording easier and more convenient.
Sony G-lens with 20X (31.5-630mm eq.) smooth servo zoom
The "G Lens" advances the Sony heritage of image processing innovation by redefining what an aspheric lens and special low-dispersion glass together can faithfully reproduce. Accordingly, the “G Lens” is specially tuned to capture qualities of definition and color that put these groundbreaking Handycam® camcorders in a class of their own. In addition, the high-quality lens offers a broad zooming range from wide-angle to 20x optical zoom (31.5-630mm 35mm equivalent), enabling an amazing range of video expression.
7x assignable buttons and 3x control rings (focus/iris/zoom)
The AX1 was designed with two start/stop buttons (one on the side of the camera grip and another on the handle) for ease of use while shooting. The handle also features a zoom lever that enables convenient access while shooting from low angles. Seven assignable buttons can be programmed with functions that enable users to quickly access them without using menus. Assign functions to adjust to shooting conditions on the fly such as Marker, Zebra, Peaking, Focus Magnifier, Auto Exposure Level, Steadyshot, Color Bars, Rec Lamp, Rec Lamp.
Zebra, Peaking, Center marker and guide frame
Back to top
Have confidence in getting the setting right and not missing he shot. Tools such as Zebra, Peaking, Center Marker and Guide Frame are professional features to enable precise manual control. Zebra: While recording, this function highlights over exposed bright areas with stripes in the LCD and viewfinder. This feedback helps users adjust brightness and prevent whiteout. Peaking highlights the area’s most sharply in focus, in the LCD and viewfinder for accurate manual focusing. Users can choose white, red, yellow or blue peaking to clearly contrast with the subject and adjust the peaking level to low, medium or high. Determine the center of your image at a glance using the Center Marker feature in the LCD or viewfinder and use the guide frame for aligning horizontal and vertical lines to ensure your captured image is within screen boundaries.
Buy Now Pay Later
With our no deposit Buy Now Pay Later option, pay nothing for six months when you spend £250 or more, then either settle the cash price in full by paying a £29.00 settlement fee, or choose to spread the cost over 36 months at 19.9% APR Representative. Please see the repayment example below to see how much purchasing this item on finance would cost.
|Item Value (Cash Price)
|Total Amount Credit
||35 x £135.02
|Total Amount Payable
|Annual Rate of Interest
Are you eligible for finance?
Applicants must be:
- Aged 18 years or older from the application date
- In permanent UK residence for a minimum of three years
- Fulfil at least one of the following employment criteria:
- In regular, permanent employment.
- Retired from regular employment - With a minimum age of 50.
- Not working through disability.
Note: All applicants will be subject to a credit reference check by the lender.
Credit is subject to application and status. Warehouse Express Ltd trading as Wex Photographic act as credit broker and not the lender. Barclays Partner Finance act as the lender.
Can I repay early? If so how?
No repayments are scheduled in the initial six-month deferral period. However, it is possible to pay off the loan, either by way of a lump sum or in smaller amounts. If the loan is fully repaid within the six-month deferral period, then no interest is payable, but a £29.00 early-settlement will be incurred. Such repayments may be made to Barclays Partner Finance by cheque, debit card or standing order. Unfortunately it is not possible to set up a direct debit within the deferral period. Further information on how to make such repayments will be set out in the loan agreement pack provided by Barclays Partner Finance.
What happens if I don't repay within the first six months (deferral period)?
Following the six month deferral period, Barclays Partner Finance will initiate a monthly direct debit payment for the remaining duration of the loan. Interest will be charged at a rate of 19.9% APR on outstanding balances (backdated to the first date of the loan). Late payment penalties and early repayment charges will apply from this point. Barclays Partner Finance will send a reminder letter approximately one month before the six month deferral period is due to elapse. Note: If you chose to spread the cost and pay monthly, interest is charged from the start of the loan, not from the start of the repayment period.
What will I receive from the finance provider (lender)?
Barclays Partner Finance will send a loan agreement pack approximately four weeks after delivery of the goods, confirming that the account has been activated and, from this point, it is possible to make repayments against the loan.
For further information on how our finance product work, see our Finance help section.
Back to top
† Once your application has been accepted, usually within minutes, we will immediately dispatch your equipment.