The Tiffen 55mm IR Cut Neutral Density 3.0 filter is designed to reduce light from reaching the sensor by up to 10 f/stops, without affecting colour balance. ND filters are primarily used as a photographic tool to control depth of field, exposure and enable the use of slower shutter speeds to emphasise movement. For instance, landscape photographers use NDs to create a smooth, time-past, blurred effect in the clouds and water. ND filters are also used in the video market to allow cine and video cameras (which have fixed shutter speeds) to film subjects, such as snow, sand or other bright scenes which would normally cause over-exposure. With the added feature of IR Cut blended in with the Neutral Density, customers can now use strong ND filters on sensitive chip cameras without the fear of IR pollution creeping into their images. The Tiffen IR Cut ND filters are available in sizes ranging from 40.5mm to 82mm.
- Light Reduction: 10 Stops
- ND filters reduce the amount of light passing through the camera lens without changing the colour of the scene
- IR blocker added to allow for control of Infra-Red pollution
- Especially useful in bright light conditions to help prevent overexposure and achieve a balanced exposure
- Neutral Density filters allow aperture control for selective depth of field shooting
- Made with high quality optical glass using Tiffen's ColorCore technology
- Filter screws onto the end of your lens
- 55mm filter thread size
Neutral Densitiy filters have four main uses:
- To enable slow shutter speeds to be used, especially with fast films, to record movement in subjects such as waterfalls, clouds, cars, seas etc.
- To decrease depth of field by allowing wider apertures to be used, which helps separate subjects from their background
- To decrease the effective ISO of high speed film (ie: above ISO400) and allow it to be used outdoors in blight situations
- To allow cine and video cameras (which have fixed shutter speeds) to film subjects such as snow, sand or other bright scenes which would normally cause over-exposure
The Tiffen IR ND series is produced using Water White glass. As with all Tiffen filters, IR ND filters are ground and polished to provide the greatest level of flatness and parallelism. This, together with their exclusive ColorCore technology, ensures the highest level of optical quality.
Back to top
Back to top
|Thread Size (mm)