The Canon Speedlite 430 EX II is redesigned to include features that increase its usability, making it more flexible and adaptable, as well as being easy to use. The Canon 430 EX II features a 20% reduced recycling time, which is silent to minimise any distraction caused to the photographer. With a metal mounting foot and redesigned connection pins, the Speedlite 430 EX II has better stability ...
The Canon Speedlite 430 EX II is redesigned to include features that increase its usability, making it more flexible and adaptable, as well as being easy to use. The Canon 430 EX II features a 20% reduced recycling time, which is silent to minimise any distraction caused to the photographer. With a metal mounting foot and redesigned connection pins, the Speedlite 430 EX II has better stability and the communication between the camera and the flash is also improved. The quick release and locking mechanism means the camera and flash can be connected rapidly. The Speedlite 430 EX II also features full manual control with 1/3 stop incremental settings, full control from the camera menu system (only when used with compatible EOS cameras), 9 custom functions, bounce and swivel head plus slave flash option, built in 14mm wide diffusion panel, and an auto zoom to match the size of the camera's sensor.
430EX II: Key Features
Replacing the Canon Speedlite 430EX, the Speedlite 430EX II offers fast, silent recycling and full control via the menu system of compatible EOS cameras. It is ideal for both amateurs and professionals seeking a versatile, all-purpose flash.
For maximum flexibility and ease of use, the Speedlite 430EX II incorporates a number of new features. Recycle times have been reduced by approximately 20%, with the recycle process performed silently to minimise distraction. A new metal mounting foot with redesigned connection pins provides ultra-stable communication between the camera and flash; for rapid connection to the camera, a new quick release and locking mechanism is also incorporated.
Used in Manual mode, the Speedlite 430EX II offers settings in 1/3 stop increments for increased precision of operation. Plus - when used with compatible EOS cameras - every setting on the Speedlite 430EX II can be controlled via the camera menu system, allowing rapid, intuitive alteration of settings.
The Speedlite 430EX II is a key component of the integrated flash system for both analogue and digital cameras, and is fully compatible with the distance-linked E-TTL II system found on recent EOS cameras. It can also be used as a slave unit when combined with a master unit in a wireless flash setup.
White balance compensation
Slight variations in a flash gun’s voltage and brightness can destabilise white balance in respective frames during continuous shooting. The Speedlite 430EX II compensates for this by transmitting colour information from the flash to the camera. This information is then used to optimise the white balance setting for each individual image. This function works with the camera set to Auto WB or Flash Mode.
Matching sensor size
When mounted to compatible EOS digital cameras, the Speedlite 430EX II detects whether the sensor is full frame, APS-C or APS-H. The flash’s zoom position is then automatically adjusted, optimising flash coverage and the amount of charge needed per shot.
Fully featured for full control
Other features on the Speedlite 430EX II include 1st and 2nd curtain flash synchronisation, exposure compensation, and an expanded range of nine custom functions.
The Speedlite 430EX II can be used with the following optional accessories: the Canon OC-E3 off-camera shoe cord and the Speedlite bracket SB-E2. Featuring a handy quick release/locking mechanism, the OC-E3 adds wired, short-range positioning flexibility to the Speedlite 430EX II. The Speedlite bracket SB-E2 is designed specifically for wedding and press photography and allows the Speedlite 430EX II to be mounted to one side of the camera - removing the harsh, unnatural shadows that can occur to one side of the subject when shooting in portrait orientation with a camera-mounted flash.
- Type - E-TTL II/E-TTL/TTL autoflash Speedlite
- Compatible cameras - Type-A EOS cameras (E-TTL II/E-TTL autoflash), Type-B EOS cameras (TTL autoflash)
- Guide No. - 43/141 (at 105mm focal length, ISO 100 in meters/feet)
- Flash coverage - 24 - 105mm (14mm with built-in wide panel)
- Flash duration - Normal flash: 1.4 ms or shorter
- Colour temperature information transmission - Flash colour temperature information transmitted to camera when flash is fired
- Exposure control system - E-TTL II/E-TTL/TTL autoflash, manual flash
- Effective flash range - Normal flash: 0.7 - 24.3 m / 2.3 - 79.7 ft. High-speed sync: 0.7 - 12 m / 2.3 - 39.4 ft. (at 1/250 sec.)
- Flash exposure compensation - ±3 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
- FE lock - Provided
- High-speed sync - Provided
- FEB - No
- Second-curtain flash sync - Yes
- Flash exposure confirmation - Flash exposure confirmation lamp lights
Recycling time/Flash-ready indicator - Normal flash: Approx. 3.0 sec. / Red pilot lamp lights (with size-AA alkaline batteries).
Wireless Slave Feature
- Transmission method - Optical pulse
- Channels - 4
- Transmission range (Approx.) Reception angle toward master unit: ±40º horizontal, ±30º vertical
- Slave-ready indicator - AF-assist beam blinks
- Modeling flash - Fired with camera’s depth-of-field preview button
- Top - 45, 60, 75 and 90 degrees
- Left - 60, 75, 90, 120, 150 and 180 degrees
- Right - 60, 75, 90, degrees
- Custom Functions - Nine Custom Functions with 20 settings
- Camera-controlled Speedlite - Enabled (with K169 and newer EOS DIGITAL cameras)
- Linkable AF points - 1 - 9 AF points (28mm or longer focal length)
- Effective range - At centre: Approx. 0.7 - 10 m / 2.3 - 32.8 ft., Periphery: Approx. 0.7 - 5 m / 2.3 - 16.4 ft.
430EXII Power Source
- Battery - Four size-AA alkaline batteries (Size-AA Ni-MH or lithium batteries also possible)
- Battery life (flash count) - Approx. 200 - 1400 flashes (with size-AA alkaline batteries)
- Power saving - Power off after 90 sec. to 15 min. of idle operation (60 min. if set as slave)
Back to top
- External flash exposure (auto or manual) - No
- PC terminal - No
- Dedicated bracket - SB-E2
- Dimensions (W x H x D) 72 x 122 x 101 mm / 2.8 x 4.8 x 4.0 in.
- Weight (excluding batteries) Approx. 320 g / 11.3 oz.