With the E-420, Olympus proves that high performance D-SLR photography can be enjoyed by everyone. Despite packing even more potential than its predecessor, this new E-System model boasts extreme user-friendliness in an amazingly light and compact take-anywhere form. Whatever the photographer's level of experience, high-quality images are quite literally for the taking. 28 shooting modes, ...
With the E-420, Olympus proves that high performance D-SLR photography can be enjoyed by everyone. Despite packing even more potential than its predecessor, this new E-System model boasts extreme user-friendliness in an amazingly light and compact take-anywhere form. Whatever the photographer's level of experience, high-quality images are quite literally for the taking. 28 shooting modes, including automatic, semi-automatic and manual shooting options, ensure complete versatility – while retaining both ease of use and the distinct D-SLR quality advantages.
- Exceptional mobility with the world's most compact D-SLR.
- Exceptional ease of use.
- Comfortable viewing with Autofocus Live View.
- 100% D-SLR quality.
- Large 6.9cm / 2.7" HyperCrystal II LCD with 176° viewing angle.
- Perfect image quality with a 10 Megapixel Live MOS sensor.
- Great images made easily with Face Detection and Shadow Adjustment Technology.
- Dust-free photography with a powerful Dust Reduction System.
- Built-In flash and wireless flash control for exceptional light settings.
- Fast continuous shooting with 3.5fps to keep pace with the action.
- Large buffer for 9 RAW files for image series.
- Widest range of dedicated-to-digital D-SLR equipment for perfect image quality.
- Worry-free photography with 28 shooting modes for every situation.
- Broad sensitivity range of 100-1600.
- Fast processing times and exceptional noise performance.
- One-touch white balance for perfect colours.
- AF/ AE lock for shooting flexibility.
- Preview depth of field for perfect image control.
- Sharp images on long exposures with Anti-shock function.
- Accurate image control with 100% field of view via LCD.
- Check your image results with detailed playback information.
- Choose the best shot with bracketing functions.
- Pre-check over white balance and exposure compensation.
- Fast image transfer with Hi-Speed USB 2.0.
More performance, more ease of use
With the E-420, Olympus proves that high performance D-SLR photography can be enjoyed by everyone. Packing even more potential than its predecessor, this E-System model boasts extreme user-friendliness in an amazingly light and compact take-anywhere form.
Whatever the photographer's level of experience, high-quality images are quite literally for the taking. 28 shooting modes, including automatic, semi-automatic and manual shooting options, ensure complete versatility - while still being easy to use.
A powerful 10.0 Megapixel Live MOS sensor provides plentiful resolution for crisp, detailed shots.
The TruePic III image processorfeatures Shadow Adjustment Technology (SAT), which guarantees exceptionally true-to-life image reproduction while reducing noise and enhancing processing speed.
Sequential shooting at up to 3.5fps in full Megapixel mode is possible with up to eight images in RAW buffer.
Olympus' own Supersonic Wave Filter provides state-of-the-art protection against dust.
The E-420's simple controls and interface ensure that anyone can achieve great results and use advanced features.
With continuous Live View, users can frame compositions on the camera's generous 2.7" / 6.9cm HyperCrystal II LCD, which provides 100% coverage of scenes with the on-screen contrast, brightness and colour of depictions all being easily adjustable. Thanks to Perfect Shot Preview, the effect of camera settings - including exposure, white balance, gradation and picture mode - can also be monitored in real-time directly on the LCD. Furthermore, professional depth of field previewing is possible, and users can see the effects of Face Detection and Shadow Adjustment Technology in action. The E-420's LCD enables the magnification of subjects by a factor of 7 or 10 while framing, making manual focusing during shooting considerably easier and more accurate.
Autofocus performance has also been enhanced to boost user friendliness. On top of the phase detection AF system, the E-420 now also features a contrast AF system, allowing subjects to be focused upon more conveniently as the mirror does not need to move to the down position for measurements to be taken. The effects of autofocus be seen on the Live View LCD immediately.
A built-in flash adds to this model’s flexibility. More shooting versatility is also provided with the option of wireless flash control in up to three groups. Using the Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R flash units, multiple flash set-ups which can be controlled remotely; significantly extend lighting options. Thanks to the availability of sensitivities ranging from ISO 100 to 1600, the E-420 remains a versatile companion, even in less-than-perfect lighting conditions and in situations when a flash is not desired.
With 38 languages available, the E-420 is easy to use, no matter the user's native tongue. A USB 2.0 (Hi-Speed) interface guarantees fast data transfer, and with its long-life rechargeable battery, shooting sessions can easily go into overtime.
Part of the E-System family
Back to top
The E-420 is compatible with virtually all Olympus E-System accessories. Adhering to the Four Thirds Standard, these various accessories open the door to an amazing range of photographic options – without compromising quality. All Four Thirds lenses, for example, feature near-telecentric construction ensuring edge-to-edge sharpness. The Four Thirds System enables the design of smaller camera bodies and lenses to allow for much more compact photographic set-ups. This advantage is perfectly embodied in the go-anywhere E-420, one of the world’s smallest and lightest D-SLRs.
The new lens features an extremely short-barrelled, lightweight design: The ZUIKO DIGITAL 25mm 1:2.8 (equivalent to 50mm on a 35mm camera) represents the perfect accompaniment for the E-420. With its overall compactness, the set-up is reminiscent of the legendary improvement to mobility that the famous Olympus OM series provided.