Wex Photo Video Students Awards Winners
We’d like to extend special thanks and congratulations to the winners and all who entered the Wex Photo Video Student Awards. We hope to see more of your entries next year.
1st Prize - The Phil Smith Student Photographic Award
The winner of this year’s Wex Photo Video Students Awards for photography goes to Samuel Duner from Edinburgh Napier University!
Work Title: Natten
© Samuel Duner
© Kate Johnson
The 2nd place position for this year’s Wex Photo Video Students Awards for photography goes to Kate Johnson from Arts University Plymouth!
Work Title: State of Mind
© Susan Allan
The 3rd place position for this year’s Wex Photo Video Students Awards for photography goes to Susan Allan from Edinburgh College!
Work Title: Abandoned Landscapes
1st Prize - The Phil Smith Student Filmmaking Award
The winner of this year’s Wex Photo Video Students Awards for filmmaking goes to Zoe Orimoloye from Royal College of Art!
Work Title: Evolution of a Landscape
Work Title: Uamh-Binn
The 2nd place position for this year’s Wex Photo Video Students Awards for filmmaking goes to Ben Anstruther from Edinburgh Napier University!
Work Title: A Day at Llyn Idwal
The 3rd place position for this year’s Wex Photo Video Students Awards for filmmaking goes to Geo Nettleton from University of Salford!
In no particular order:
- Adam Cooledge – Terra Firma – Sheffield Hallam University – @cooledge_photo
- John-Martin Bramham - Places | Celebrating Scotlands Beauty – City of Glasgow College – @johnmartinphoto
- Imogen Locke – A Topography of Micro Planets – Glasgow School of Art
- Tiago Valeiro – We're Trapped in the Belly of This Horrible Machine – University of Portsmouth
- James Knowles – Lone Landscapes – Edinburgh College – Jamesknowlesphotography.com @Jamesknowlesphotography
- Robin Shaw – Dorest 20 – University of Portsmouth – @robindanielas
- Harry Muir – Elevenses – Middlesex University – harrymuirphoto.co.uk @HarryMuirPhoto
- Chloe Jones – Lines – Birmingham City University – chloejonesphotos.co.uk @chloe_jonesphotos
- Ruth Daniels – The Cowboy Found Me – Glasgow School of Art
The Phil Smith Student Photographic Award
The late Phil Smith from Wex Photo Video was a much-loved and respected member of the Wex Business Team at Wex Photo Video. To honour his life and dedication to Wex Photo Video, and to highlight his love of the arts this award will go to the most exceptional images submitted to this competition.
Please fill in the form below, or attach your image or video link and email [email protected]
- Your Name
- Course Name
All entries must be received by 11.59 pm on the 29th of May 2023
A Special Thanks
We’d like to extend special thanks and congratulations to the winners and all who entered the Wex Photo Video Student Awards.
Along with the extremely talented students, we’d like to thank our panel of expert judges:
- Professor Lei Cox – Courser Leader Edinburgh Napier
1. The Promoter is Wex Photo Video. Wex Photo Video is a trading name of Calumet Photographic Limited (Company Registration no. 00425579) and Warehouse Express Limited (Company Registration no. 03366976). Registered office: 13 Frensham Road, Norwich. NR3 2BT.
2. The competition is open to Degree or BTEC photography course students (or Scottish equivalents) from colleges and universities in the UK only; exceptions of entry are employees of Wex Photo Video, and anyone connected with the competition.
3. Details of your current BTEC or University Photography course will be required.
4. By entering the competition, you give Wex Photo Video permission to use your image and/or short film for the purpose of promoting the competition online, in print, in stores and via social media. In the event that your work is chosen as a winner or commended entry, Wex Photo Video has the right to display your image or short film across any of its properties, on- or offline.
5. The competition closes at 11:59 pm on 29th May 2023. Entries received after this point will not be considered.
6. No purchase is necessary to enter.
7. Entrance to the competition must be via www.wex.co.uk/student-awards.
8. Any entry that is defaced, made fraudulently or is illegible will not be accepted into the competition.
9. No image or short film depicting sexual content or illegal activity will be considered.
10. The prize values are correct at time of going to press.
11. The prizes cannot be exchanged for cash, nor an alternative offered, unless there are circumstances beyond our control, in which case a prize of equal value will be offered.
12. By submitting an image and/or short film to the competition, you confirm that you are the copyright holder and that it is your original work. Anyone found to be entering work belonging to someone else will be immediately disqualified.
13. Submitted images must be a JPEG file, though a high-resolution TIFF file at 300DPI will be required for shortlisted shots. Submitted short films must be via link, with password provided if required, and must have a duration of no more than 60 seconds.
14. Wex Photo Video is not responsible for the licensing of any images, models or locations submitted by entrants and will co-operate with authorities should any copyright infringements arise.
15. The winning and commended work will be selected according to merit. Judges include university and college lecturers and professional photographers/filmmakers.
16. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
17. By entering the competition you agree to participate in any reasonable promotional activity or press material regarding the competition when required by Wex Photo Video.
18. When entering the competition, you will not be added to any email marketing lists unless you specifically give us permission to do so.
19. Any personal data required is collected and processed in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (EU) 2016/679. We do not disclose data to any third parties unless disclosure is necessary for the fulfilment of a service or prize; you have specifically given consent for a particular service or prize; or we have a legitimate interest in disclosing data. For more information about the kind of personal data we collect, read our full Privacy and Personal Data Policy: www.wex.co.uk/privacy.
20. Any entrant found to have submitted content deemed inappropriate by Wex Photo Video will be disqualified immediately. Wex Photo Video reserves the right to contact authorities regarding any submission that is considered unlawful. The views and opinions expressed via any competition entries do not necessarily reflect those held by Wex Photo Video.
22. Wex Photo Video reserves the right to modify these terms and conditions at any time if circumstances are beyond our control.