The Blackmagic Video Assist adds professional monitoring and high quality recording to any camera. Its large 5” full resolution HD screen ensures perfect focus and framing, while touchscreen functionality allows settings, histogram, audio meters, timecode display and more. The professional ProRes and DNxHD recorder uses high speed SD cards (not included) and saves files compatible with modern NLE software. SDI and HDMI inputs mean you can connect to any video camera or DSLR, and there are two slots for dual LP-E6 batteries (not included). Also available in a 7" version with HD and Ultra HD recording.
Blackmagic Video Assist
- 5” full resolution HD touchscreen monitor
- Add professional monitoring and high quality recording to any camera
- SDI and HDMI inputs
- Ensures perfect focus and framing
- Professional ProRes and DNxHD recorder
- 1 x UHS-1 SD slot (card not included)
- Takes dual LP-E6 batteries (not included)
Shoot Better Video
See and capture every detail with confidence!
Whether it’s a wedding, an indie film, or a television commercial, you need to make sure your images are perfectly sharp and captured at the highest possible quality, no matter what type of camera you use. Blackmagic Video Assist works with everything from DSLR’s to older tape based camcorders, and even the latest digital film cameras. When you’re shooting a wedding, there’s only one chance to get it right and if you’re an indie filmmaker, you want your film to look as good as a Hollywood movie when projected at festivals. Blackmagic Video Assist helps you make sure every shot is in focus and gives you professional images with the same recording quality used by major motion pictures and prime time TV shows.
Blackmagic Video Assist
5" all-in-one monitor and HD recorder!
The 5” Video Assist features a 1920 x 1080 screen, HD recorder, and a down converter for monitoring and recording HD from Ultra HD cameras. The large screen makes it easier to focus and frame shots, and the recorder saves files that are far superior quality than the highly compressed files that DSLRs record! It’s also a fast and inexpensive way to add modern file based recording to your existing HD cameras! You get 10-bit 4:2:2 broadcast quality files that work with all major editing software, so you’ll never have to worry about tape, optical discs or other proprietary and slow media formats again.
Choose From Two Great Models
Choose between 5” or 7" models
Available in 2 exciting models, you can choose the Blackmagic Video Assist with a 5” screen and HD recorder, or the 7” Blackmagic Video Assist 4K with HD and Ultra HD recording, low noise balanced analog mini XLR mic inputs, a built in speaker and more! Both feature 6G-SDI and HDMI connections, making it easy to add professional monitoring and recording to any camera!
Professional HD and Ultra HD Recorder
10-bit 4:2:2 ProRes and DNxHD recording!
The 5” Video Assist records all HD formats up to 1080p60, and the 7” Video Assist 4K records HD and Ultra HD up to 2160p30. You get incredible looking, broadcast quality 10-bit, 4:2:2 ProRes or DNxHD files that work with all major editing software so you can start editing without having to convert them! Recording can be automatically triggered from SDI and HDMI so you can stay focussed on getting the shot, without having to worry about operating additional gear! The 7” Video Assist 4K also has two recorders so when one card is full, it automatically continues recording onto the next!
Records to High Speed SD Card
Low cost, high performance storage you can get anywhere!
Both models record HD video using standard SD memory cards and the 7” Video Assist 4K can also record to super high performance UHS-II cards which are fast enough to record Ultra HD! That means it’s now possible to record Ultra HD using low cost cards that cost less than $2 per GB. By connecting Video Assist to your existing camera, you can eliminate proprietary and expensive media such as XDCAM, P2 and SxS. UHS-II cards are fully backwards compatible with regular SD card slots so you can just insert them into your computer to start editing the media immediately.
Super bright and clear display
Blackmagic Video Assist has a bright 5” or 7” display so you don’t have to carry extra monitors and scopes on set! The large screens make it easy to see focus peaking and overlays such as histogram, audio meters, controls and more! You can mount it on cameras as a large crew monitor, hand it to the cinematographer for composing shots, or set it in front of the director to review each take. The screen has a wide 135º viewing angle, which means it’s easy to see, even when several crew members are watching. The image also auto rotates, so you can even rig it upside down!
High Quality Audio
Better audio recording than most cameras!
Blackmagic Video Assist 4K is also an extremely high quality audio recorder! You get two mini XLR inputs with 48V of phantom power so you can attach external microphones to record audio with Video Assist, instead of your camera. This totally eliminates the problems with auto gain controls on DLSR cameras! With an amazing equivalent input noise floor of -128dBV, you get high quality, crystal clear audio that sounds dramatically better than camera audio! Sound is recorded into the same file as the video so you don’t have to worry about AV sync between separate audio and video files!
Easy Touchscreen Controls
Use simple tap and swipe gestures to make adjustments!
The built in monitor is also an interactive touchscreen that makes setting up the Blackmagic Video Assist incredibly intuitive. All of the functions are at your fingertips, allowing you to use simple tap and swipe gestures to display camera information, change settings and evaluate audio and video levels. The elegant heads up display let’s you change recording formats or view the current input frame rate, histogram, audio meters, timecode, and more, all while still keeping your eyes on the shot!
Portable All-In-One Design
Integrated on set monitoring and recording
Designed to be durable and light weight, both models are incredibly small yet still incorporate large LCD monitors and touch screens. Both models include high speed SD card recorders and space for two rechargeable batteries, which are hot swappable so you never have to stop shooting. You can use the mounting points to attach it to the top of a camera, or use the built in kick stand to set it up on a table. It’s even comfortable enough to hold in your hands so you can pass it around to the crew. The 7” Video Assist 4K even features a built in speaker, making it easy for everyone to review shots!
Connect to professional cameras, camcorders and DSLRs
The compact design of the Blackmagic Video Assist includes HDMI and 6G-SDI so you can connect them to virtually any DSLR, prosumer or professional camera! The loop thru output lets you monitor on larger displays or projectors. The 12V universal power supply gives you continuous operation. When you’re on location, two side by side LP-E6 batteries give you enough power for longer shoots! The Blackmagic Video Assist 4K also features a LANC connector and two mini XLR inputs with 48V of phantom power for connecting microphones, along with a built in speaker that automatically mutes while recording!
Work with Professional Software
Record files that are ready for editing and grading
Blackmagic Video Assist captures ProRes and Avid DNxHD files which are the most widely accepted post production video formats in the world. If you are working with popular editing software such as DaVinci Resolve, Final Cut Pro X, Adobe Premiere Pro or Avid Media Composer, you can start editing and color correcting without having to transcode or convert the files. Since it comes bundled with DaVinci Resolve Lite, you can begin editing and creating looks on set! Even motion graphics and visual effects artists using software like Fusion and After Effects, or sound editors using ProTools can easily work with the files for fantastic collaboration.
- SDI Video Input - 1 x SD/HD/3G/6G-SDI via DIN 1.0/2.3 connector
- SDI Video Output - 1 x SD/HD/3G-SDI via DIN 1.0/2.3 connector
- HDMI Video Input - 1 x HDMI type A connector
- HDMI Video Output - 1 x HDMI type A connector
- SDI Audio Input - 2 channels embedded in SD and HD in QuickTime files, 2 channels in Avid DNxHD MXF files
- SDI Audio Output - 2 channels embedded in SD and HD in QuickTime files, 2 channels in Avid DNxHD MXF files
- HDMI Audio Input - 2 channels embedded in SD and HD QuickTime files and Avid DNxHD MXF files.
- HDMI Audio Output - 2 channels embedded in SD and HD QuickTime files and Avid DNxHD MXF files.
- Audio Output - 1 x 3.5 mm stereo analog audio output jack.
- SD Interface - 1 x UHS-1 SD slot
- Storage Type - Removable SDXC UHS-1 and SDHC UHS-1 cards. Supports DS, HS, SDR12, SDR25, DDR50, SDR50 and SDR104 SD cards.
- Recorder Control - Integrated capacitive touch LCD screen with onscreen controls for settings and navigating menus.
- Screen Dimensions - 5" 1920 x 1080p60 capacitive touchscreen LCD.
- Recorder Configuration - Via the device's USB port or the device's user interface.
- Computer Interface - 1 x Mini-B USB 2.0 connector for initial setup, software updates and HyperDeck Utility software control.
Apple ProRes 422 HQ, ProRes 422, ProRes LT, ProRes Proxy, Avid DNxHD.
SDI Video Standards:
- SD Format Support - 625/50i PAL, 525/59.94i NTSC
- HD Format Support - 1280 x 720p50, 1280 x 720p59.94, 1280 x 720p60, 1920 x 1080i50, 1920 x 1080i59.94, 1920 x 1080i60, 1920 x 1080PsF23.98, 1920 x 1080PsF24, 1920 x 1080p23.98, 1920 x 1080p24, 1920 x 1080p25, 1920 x 1080p29.97, 1920 x 1080p30, 1920 x 1080p50, 1920 x 1080p59.94, 1920 x 1080p60.
- SDI Compliance - SMPTE 259M, SMPTE 292M, SMPTE 296M, SMPTE 425M.
- SDI Metadata Support - HD RP188 and closed captioning.
- Audio Sampling - Television standard sample rate of 48 kHz and 24-bit.
- Video Sampling - 4:2:2 YUV
- Color Precision - 10-bit
- Color Space - REC 601, REC 709
- Multiple Rate support - SDI and HDMI switches between 270 Mb/s SD , 1.5 Gb/s HD , and 3.0 Gb/s 60P HD.
HDMI Video Standards:
- SD Format Support - 625/25 PAL, 525/29.97 NTSC, 480p60 and 576p50
- HD Format Support - 1280 x 720p50, 1280 x 720p59.94, 1280 x 720p60, 1920 x 1080i50, 1920 x 1080i59.94, 1920 x 1080i60, 1920 x 1080p23.98, 1920 x 1080p24, 1920 x 1080p25, 1920 x 1080p29.97, 1920 x 1080p30, 1920 x 1080p50, 1920 x 1080p59.94, 1920 x 1080p60.
- HDMI Color Precision - 10-bit
- Copy Protection - HDMI input is unable to capture from copy protected HDMI sources. Always confirm copyright ownership before capture or distribution of content.
- Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks, Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite or later, Windows 7 or Windows 8
- 2 x rechargeable LP-E6 Lithium-Ion batteries
- +12V universal power supply included with international socket adapters for all countries
- Operating Temperature - 5° to 40° C (41° to 104° F)
- Storage Temperature - -21° to 45° C (-6° to 113° F)
- Relative Humidity - 0% to 90% non-condensing
Back to top
Buy Now Pay Later
With our no deposit Buy Now Pay Later option, pay nothing for six months when you spend £250 or more, then either settle the cash price in full by paying a £29.00 settlement fee, or choose to spread the cost over 36 months at 19.9% APR Representative. Please see the repayment example below to see how much purchasing this item on finance would cost.
|Item Value (Cash Price)
|Total Amount Credit
||35 x £16.79
|Total Amount Payable
|Annual Rate of Interest
Are you eligible for finance?
Applicants must be:
- Aged 18 years or older from the application date
- In permanent UK residence for a minimum of three years
- Fulfil at least one of the following employment criteria:
- In regular, permanent employment.
- Retired from regular employment - With a minimum age of 50.
- Not working through disability.
Note: All applicants will be subject to a credit reference check by the lender.
Credit is subject to application and status. Warehouse Express Ltd trading as Wex Photo Video act as credit broker and not the lender. Barclays Partner Finance act as the lender.
Can I repay early? If so how?
No repayments are scheduled in the initial six-month deferral period. However, it is possible to pay off the loan, either by way of a lump sum or in smaller amounts. If the loan is fully repaid within the six-month deferral period, then no interest is payable, but a £29.00 early-settlement will be incurred. Such repayments may be made to Barclays Partner Finance by cheque, debit card or standing order. Unfortunately it is not possible to set up a direct debit within the deferral period. Further information on how to make such repayments will be set out in the loan agreement pack provided by Barclays Partner Finance.
What happens if I don't repay within the first six months (deferral period)?
Following the six month deferral period, Barclays Partner Finance will initiate a monthly direct debit payment for the remaining duration of the loan. Interest will be charged at a rate of 19.9% APR on outstanding balances (backdated to the first date of the loan). Late payment penalties and early repayment charges will apply from this point. Barclays Partner Finance will send a reminder letter approximately one month before the six month deferral period is due to elapse. Note: If you chose to spread the cost and pay monthly, interest is charged from the start of the loan, not from the start of the repayment period.
What will I receive from the finance provider (lender)?
Barclays Partner Finance will send a loan agreement pack approximately four weeks after delivery of the goods, confirming that the account has been activated and, from this point, it is possible to make repayments against the loan.
For further information on how our finance product work, see our Finance help section.
Back to top
† Once your application has been accepted, usually within minutes, we will immediately dispatch your equipment.