This Metabones MKIV Smart Adapter allows a Canon EF or EF-S lens to be mounted onto a Sony E-mount compact system camera. The design of the adapter supports electronic communication between the camera and lens attached.
Metabones MKIV Adapter (Canon EF to Sony E Mount) Features
- Phase-detect autofocus support on A7RII and A7II
- Supports 5-axis in-body image stabilization of A7II and A7RII
- Powered by camera body. No external power source required
- Aperture control from camera body
- Wide open button (opposite of depth-of-field preview function) makes manual focusing easy and assignable to a custom function on A7 series
- High performance 32-bit processor and efficient switched-mode power supply
- Supports image stabilization (IS) lenses
- Supports electronic manual focusing (e.g. EF 85/1.2L II and discontinued EF 50/1.0L)
- EXIF support (focal length, aperture, zoom range)
- Distance and zoom display on VG and FS series camcorders (lens with distance information support required)
- Auto magnify (lens with distance information support required)
- Auto "APS-C Size Capture" on full-frame cameras with Canon EF-S lenses and many third party DX lenses
View the Metabones lens compatibility chart on their website.
- Fits both EF and EF-S lenses. (Vignetting at corners may occur with certain EF-S lenses because they are designed to cover a 1.6x crop image circle but Sony APS-C has a 1.5x crop factor.)
- Flocking material coated inside the opening to reduce internal reflection
- The tripod foot is detachable and compatible with Arca Swiss, Markins, Photo cam ball heads
- Fast phase-detect AF is available only on A7RII and A7II. On other Sony cameras, contrast-detect AF with an EF mount lens is disappointingly slow and inadequate for all but static subjects
- Even on A7RII and A7II, long telephoto lenses hunt more often and autofocus performance progressively deteriorates as focal length gets longer
- On A7RII, the AF points near the center always work well, but those on the edges and in the corners may lose effectiveness when a fast lens or a telephoto lens is used
- A7RII and A7II supports only contrast-detect AF during video recording. This means video AF speed may be unsatisfactory
- During movie capture, autofocus needs to be manually activiated by half-pressing the shutter release button if subject moves to a different distance. Since contrast-detect autofocus speed is slow, there may be visible disruption in the resulting footage
- With PXW-FS7, NEX-FS700 and NEX-FS100, autofocus works only in photo mode but disabled in movie capture mode
- Continuous AF is not supported. (Does not work with contrast-detect AF and may have unsatisfactory performance with phase-detect AF of A7RII and A7II.)
- Eye AF is not supported
- DMF mode (direct manual focus) is not supported
- The first two autofocus attempts are used to calibrate the lens and as a result may not lock successfully on the target. Half-press the shutter release button again and autofocus will lock successfully
- Autofocus may have difficultly locking onto subjects which are very close to the nearest focusing distance of the lens
- Autofocus accuracy depends heavily on the working condition of the lens. Lenses with hidden problems which may not be apparent on Canon DSLRs will lead to inaccurate and unreliable autofocus on Sony NEX. Typical problems of this kind that we have seen include an unsmooth/erratic autofocus mechanism (e.g. getting stuck intermittently at a certain focusing distance), a faulty/worn-out distance encoder or other faulty/worn-out internal sensors
- No support for lens corrections such as peripheral shading, CA and distortion
- The EF-mount lens may make audible noises during iris changes and autofocus, wich may be picked up by the built-in microphone of the camera during video recording. Use of an external microphone is advised
- Early Tamron VC lenses such as the 17-50/2.8 B005 may not be able to freely switch between OIS and IBIS because they may not report IS activity status. The latest generation Tamron VC lenses are fine
Enhancement on new MARK IV (MB_EF-E-BT4) vs. old MARK IV (MB_EF-E-BM4):
The inner opening is lined with flocking material coating. This will further reduce internal reflection when a tilt-shift (TS) lens is used.
Since its inception, Metabones has been designing and manufacturing lens adapters recognized among professionals and enthusiasts as leaders in design and workmanship.
Contrary to the popular trend of other factories using an aluminum ring painted black on the camera-body-side, we instead take no short-cut but use precision-machined brass with chromium plating on both the camera-body and the lens sides of our adapters, in order to ensure smooth mounting, great appearance, and durability. The lens side of the adapter features a strong leaf-spring structure, strengthening the adapter-lens connection and ensuring tightness of the lens in order to reduce wear and prevent focus errors and optical alignment issues from appearing.
Metabones uses matte-black treatment to keep internal reflection to a minimum in order to maintain the maximum optical quality possible with the lens.
All Metabones Adapters follow this tradition of uncompromising precision, robust build quality and outstanding finish. Our new Smart AdapterTM series of products add industry-leading electronic interfacing technology from Canada, with true electronic control of the lens' aperture directly from the camera body.
Back to top
Back to top
|For Use With
||Canon EF Lenses & Sony E Cameras
Buy Now Pay Later
With our no deposit Buy Now Pay Later option, pay nothing for six months when you spend £250 or more, then either settle the cash price in full by paying a £29.00 settlement fee, or choose to spread the cost over 36 months at 19.9% APR Representative. Please see the repayment example below to see how much purchasing this item on finance would cost.
|Item Value (Cash Price)
|Total Amount Credit
||35 x £15.62
|Total Amount Payable
|Annual Rate of Interest
Are you eligible for finance?
Applicants must be:
- Aged 18 years or older from the application date
- In permanent UK residence for a minimum of three years
- Fulfil at least one of the following employment criteria:
- In regular, permanent employment.
- Retired from regular employment - With a minimum age of 50.
- Not working through disability.
Note: All applicants will be subject to a credit reference check by the lender.
Credit is subject to application and status. Warehouse Express Ltd trading as Wex Photographic act as credit broker and not the lender. Barclays Partner Finance act as the lender.
Can I repay early? If so how?
No repayments are scheduled in the initial six-month deferral period. However, it is possible to pay off the loan, either by way of a lump sum or in smaller amounts. If the loan is fully repaid within the six-month deferral period, then no interest is payable, but a £29.00 early-settlement will be incurred. Such repayments may be made to Barclays Partner Finance by cheque, debit card or standing order. Unfortunately it is not possible to set up a direct debit within the deferral period. Further information on how to make such repayments will be set out in the loan agreement pack provided by Barclays Partner Finance.
What happens if I don't repay within the first six months (deferral period)?
Following the six month deferral period, Barclays Partner Finance will initiate a monthly direct debit payment for the remaining duration of the loan. Interest will be charged at a rate of 19.9% APR on outstanding balances (backdated to the first date of the loan). Late payment penalties and early repayment charges will apply from this point. Barclays Partner Finance will send a reminder letter approximately one month before the six month deferral period is due to elapse. Note: If you chose to spread the cost and pay monthly, interest is charged from the start of the loan, not from the start of the repayment period.
What will I receive from the finance provider (lender)?
Barclays Partner Finance will send a loan agreement pack approximately four weeks after delivery of the goods, confirming that the account has been activated and, from this point, it is possible to make repayments against the loan.
For further information on how our finance product work, see our Finance help section.
Back to top
† Once your application has been accepted, usually within minutes, we will immediately dispatch your equipment.