The Nikon D40X is a lightweight and portable camera that proves that it can be both incredibly simple and tremendous fun to shoot images with a Nikon digital SLR. You only need to turn on the camera's AUTO mode, look through the clear, bright viewfinder and shoot. The Nikon D40X responds fast so you can capture moments as they unfold, and its 10.2 megapixel resolution and world-class Nikkor lens ...
The Nikon D40X is a lightweight and portable camera that proves that it can be both incredibly simple and tremendous fun to shoot images with a Nikon digital SLR. You only need to turn on the camera's AUTO mode, look through the clear, bright viewfinder and shoot. The Nikon D40X responds fast so you can capture moments as they unfold, and its 10.2 megapixel resolution and world-class Nikkor lens deliver consistently sharp, vibrant images.
Nikons D40x - a big upgrade to the D40. The main difference is the sensor size, the D40x now has a whopping 10.2 MegaPixel CCD sensor compared to the 6.1 MegaPixel of the D40. Other differences include:
- Longer battery life that allows up to 520 images* per charge (470 images* for the D40)
- Faster continuous shooting at 3 frames per second (2.5 fps for the D40)
- A wider ISO sensitivity of 100 to 1600, plus HI 1 (200 to 1600 plus HI 1 for the D40).
Whilst the above benefits are minor to the photographer, the increase in sensor size to 10.1 MegaPixels is a serious reason for an upgrade; you will get bigger prints without the need for any interpolation and the quality will likely be better too. For the entry level photographer the D40x is a great option and with the increased sensor size and image quality will probably begin to complete against the sales of its larger brother the D200. - Andy Rouse
The D40X is a lightweight and portable camera that proves that it can be both incredibly simple and tremendous fun to shoot images with a Nikon digital SLR. You only need to turn on the camera’s AUTO mode, look through the clear, bright viewfinder and shoot. The D40X responds fast so you can capture moments as they unfold, and its 10.2 megapixel resolution and world-class Nikkor lens deliver consistently sharp, vibrant images. The Help menus are available at the press of a button and work like a built-in instruction manual, with advice and directions for every camera setting. With every feature, button and menu designed to work together for a smooth, seamless performance, the D40X will bring out the best in you and your images.
The new model boasts a 10.2 megapixel CCD image sensor that combines with Nikon’s exclusive 3D Colour Matrix Metering II and auto white balance to produce quality shots that capture the vivid detail and true colour of the subject matter. The D40x is equipped with the compact, lightweight 3x 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor lens to provide superb picture sharpness and optimum contrast. The new D40x is also compatible with the 55-200mm VR Zoom-Nikkor telephoto and is ideal for extending the focal range as the user develops their photography skills. The new lens is fitted with an ED glass element, making it easier to achieve images with higher resolution and high contrast. The Silent Wave Motor offers quiet and smooth auto focusing.
The Nikon D40x has a near instant power-up and a continuous shooting mode which allows the keen photographer to capture 100 jpeg images at three frames per second. The integrated auto focus ensures that shots are crisp and clear and Nikon’s innovative i-TTL flash control evaluates ideal flash exposure to ensure the image light is always correct, whatever the conditions. An additional ISO 100 setting extends the ISO range over the D40 giving photographers the flexibility to shoot in a variety of conditions at ease.
An ample 2.5-inch LCD screen means the budding photographer can view, manipulate and navigate their images with ease. Unique Nikon innovations make it possible to manipulate the images in-camera, allowing amateurs to achieve professional results. Nikon’s unique D-Lighting function improves areas of underexposure in images taken with too much back light by creating a copy of an image with added light and detail wherever necessary, leaving well-exposed areas untouched. Photographers are also able to fix red eye at the touch of a button or use the monochrome effect to produce a black and white image. Nikon’s exclusive PictureProject software makes it easy to edit, organise, transfer and share the high quality images. The camera comes complete with a longer-life battery.
For the creative photographer, Nikon’s user friendly scene-optimised Digital Vari-program modes helps the user to capture any scene with ease. The eight modes are designed to produce remarkable results by automatically calculating the best settings and ISO equivalent sensitivity for each scene.
Back to top
- The most compact and lightweight Nikon digital SLR ever, with intuitive controls and a comfortable grip.
- 10.2 megapixel DX format image sensor for exceptionally vivid and detailed high-resolution images that are ideal for enlargements.
- High-performance image processing engine: for natural-looking pictures with true-to-life colors and tones.
- Kit includes the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor lens: 135 equivalent of 25.5-82.5mm zoom lens.
- Near-instant 0.18s start-up time. Ready in 0.18 seconds after turning on the camera, the D40X empowers you with the speed to act on the spur of the moment.
- 3 fps continuous shooting. With the ability to take up to 100 JPEG images (FINE L-size or smaller) at approx. 3 frames per second, the D40X is able to capture it all, even when the action is fast.
- Bright and clear viewfinder with 0.8x magnification for precise composition.
- Razor-sharp 3-area Autofocus. Whether you are at the beach, at the football or in an amusement park, the D40X will focus quickly and accurately— even after sunset.
- Nikon 3D Color Matrix Metering II for ideal exposures in almost any lighting condition.
- 100 – 1600 ISO broad sensitivity range lets the camera create beautiful images in challenging low-light situations without using a flash.
- Large, bright 2.5-inch LCD monitor makes it a pleasure to review and edit your shots.
- Rechargeable Li-ion Battery: take up to 520 shots in single-frame shooting mode (measured according to CIPA standards, with Built-in Flash used for 50% of the shots).
- Handy Assist Images help you to select the right camera settings by illustrating the compositions and scenes that you might want to choose a particular function for.
- 8 Digital Vari-Programs automatically optimize the camera settings to produce great results in any condition.
- Easy-to-use Retouch Menu makes it simple to edit and enhance your pictures in the camera.
- Compatible with world famous, high-quality Nikkor lenses.
- Supports the advanced Creative Lighting System when using Nikon’s external Speedlights. Turns the darkest situations into dazzling photo opportunities!