Nikon D50 Body - Black
Nikon D50 Body - Black
Image capture is made easy thanks to Nikon's scene-optimised, Digital Vari-Program modes. By selecting one of seven easily distinguishable icons from the handy exposure mode dial, complex settings are optimised to produce consistently remarkable results. A new function available with the D50 is ‘Child’ mode, ‘Child’ mode is a pre-programmed mode, ideal for the family user allowing the photographer to take great images of their children. Skin tones are naturally smooth without sacrificing vibrancy. Settings within this mode are optimised for photographing young children giving them a healthier colouring. ISO sensitivity is automatically controlled and the saturation and hue are suitably adjusted. Full manual exposure control is also available with the D50; allowing more advanced photographers the creative freedom they desire.
The D50 features a new 6.1 effective megapixel Nikon DX Format CCD image sensor and a highly advanced image processing engine, which combine to create truly faithful image files capable of significant enlargement, thereby making it even easier to take and store images. These optimised components produce consistent results, even under challenging shooting conditions i.e. when working with light-coloured subjects or long exposure shots.
The D50 is ready to shoot in just 0.2 seconds for near-instant readiness, whilst the shutter's release lag time is also minimised for near-instant response that virtually eliminates this common frustration of digital photography.
Continuous shooting at 2.5 frames per second can be maintained for bursts of up to 137† pictures, making action photography a reality. Images taken are instantly processed and recorded to the photographer's compact SD (Secure Digital) memory card. A new USB 2.0 Hi-Speed interface supports faster transfer of images when connected to a compatible computer.
Shutter speed choices extend from 30 sec. to an action-stopping 1/4,000 sec. A high-speed flash sync speed up to 1/500 sec. makes great fill flash photography possible, and Nikon technology makes it automatic. A bulb setting is also included for long exposures. The shutter is designed to ensure fast curtain action for consistent operation and accurate, predictable results, even at high shutter speed settings. AUTO ISO maximises available light by automatically setting ISO-equivalent sensitivity across the available range of 200 to 1600. D50 photographers can also opt to set the ISO sensitivity manually for personal control.
The D50’s 5-area autofocus system inherits Nikon's proven cross-type center sensor, broad frame coverage, class-leading low light detection (found only in the award-winning Nikon D70 camera) and delivers even greater AF precision with fast, more consistent subject acquisition and improved focus tracking. The new system adopts AF-A mode for smooth automated operation that switches between AF-S (single-servo autofocus) and AF-C (continuous-servo autofocus) depending on the movement of the subject in the framed shot. An AF-assist illuminator is also included, which helps maximise performance when shooting in low lighting conditions.
The D50 produces consistently natural colouration by measuring the entire frame of the shot and matching white balance to the light source. Advanced auto white balance handles most lighting situations but the flexible options include a choice of six specific manual settings, white balance bracketing for added creative choice of results, as well as a preset option for using a gray or white object as a calibrating reference under mixed lighting conditions.
Nikon's new 3D Colour Matrix Metering II ensures accurate exposure control in most types of lighting situations by automatically comparing input from its frame-wide 420-pixel sensor for each scene to a large onboard database of over 30,000 scenes from actual photography. Professionals and amateurs alike rely on Nikon's exclusive light metering technologies that produce ideal exposures instantly. Newly developed exposure evaluation methods detect highlights and shadows in the frame, and compensate for them to help minimise under or over exposure by comparing the lighting pattern of the frame with the onboard database of scenes, thus enhancing performance for more accurate and consistent exposures.
The new D50 offers seamless compatibility with Nikon's extensive family of high-performance AF Nikkor lenses, as well as the expanding family of digital-dedicated DX Nikkor lenses, providing superb colour reproduction, razor-sharp image clarity and fast, accurate autofocus performance.
The compact, light-weight design of the new D50 makes it easy to carry, while its body contours and easily accessible controls provide handling efficiency and easy operation. The D50's large 2.0-inch LCD monitor presents clear and helpful user information in plain language. Intuitive help dialogs are available for on-the-spot reference to the respective menu selections. The high-capacity, rechargeable lithium-ion battery helps extend mobility and convenience by delivering the power to shoot up to 2,000 images†† on a single charge.
The D50 package offers diverse playback options, versatile custom settings, USB 2.0
Hi-Speed interface (for easy connectivity or direct printing to any PictBridge compatible printer with in-camera page setup) and Nikon's complimentary PictureProject software. PictureProject’s new version 1.5 enables easy image transfer, effective image organisation and editing, creative page layout design, plus printing and sharing.
Major Features of the Nikon D50
Vivid colour and sharp details straight from the camera
- New 6.1 effective megapixel Nikon DX Format CCD imaging sensor that produces 3,008 x 2,000-pixel images with accurate colour, high resolution and sharp details for great pictures capable of significant enlargement, or cropping for creative effect. File sizes remain manageable, making it easier to take and store more great pictures.
- Advanced digital image processor that marks a further evolution of analog and digital processing and pre-conditioning technologies, producing images that are ready to print straight from the camera. Image quality is optimised, including auto white balance, auto tone and colour control, and real-time processes diminish digital noise to produce beautiful long exposure shots.
- 3D Colour Matrix Metering II ensures accurate exposure control and white balance.
Instant, precise response
- Near-instant 0.2-second power-up, and quick shutter response.
- Continuous shooting at 2.5 frames per second for continuous bursts of up to 137 pictures† without having to wait for the camera to record the images to the SD memory card.
- Fast 5-area AF system with predictive focus tracking and Lock-on™ delivers greater precision with fast, more consistent subject acquisition and improved focus tracking to capture the action as it happens. Automatic AF-assist illuminator helps ensure top AF performance in dark situations.
- Fast shutter speed with a range from 30 to 1/4,000 sec.
- Fast flash sync shutter speeds up to 1/500 sec. for great fill-effects under brighter light and back-lighted conditions.
- Fast data transfer and recording to SD memory cards keeps the D50 ready to shoot whenever a special moment presents itself. Accurate automated and manual control for predictable results
- Seven Digital Vari-Program selections for automatic adjustment of settings necessary to produce incredible digital photographs, including ISO-equivalent sensitivity, white balance, sharpening, tone (contrast), colour, saturation and hue for crisp and vivid results that match the intended shot. Selections include Auto, Portrait, Landscape, Child, Sports, Close up, and Night Portrait.
- Image enhancement options provide versatile sharpening, tone (contrast), colour, saturation or hue while using Auto Multi Program (P), Shutter-Priority Auto (S), Aperture-Priority Auto (A), or Manual (M) exposure modes to help match picture taking situations. The easy-to-set choices include Normal, Vivid, Sharp, Soft, Direct print, Landscape or Custom optimization.
- Automatic control over ISO-equivalent sensitivity from ISO 200 to 1600; can also be set manually.
- To maximize performance throughout the infinite range of potential picture scenes, D50 provides a choice of three TTL (Through The Lens) exposure modes: 3D Colour Matrix Metering II for quick changing conditions, Center-Weighted for strong backlighting and more personal control, and Spot Meters that give you total control of exposure when you have lots of time to set up the shot.
- Auto exposure bracketing helps achieve the exact results desired.
- Flash exposure compensation.
- A choice of three colour modes ensures the best match for the shot when operating the camera manually.
Mode Ia: Renders natural-looking skin tones out of the camera. (sRGB)
Mode II: Realizes a wider colour range suited for processing or retouching. (Adobe RGB)
Mode IIIa: Renders vivid landscape and flora colours out of the camera. (sRGB)
- Simultaneous recording of Compressed RAW (NEF) and JPEG image files for the same shot helps by providing a smaller JPEG image file that can be quickly sent via email, along with a Compressed RAW (NEF) file for more creative flexibility to enhance pictures using Nikon PictureProject or Nikon Capture software.
Intuitive handling and operating ease
- Intuitive and familiar operation with ergonomically designed and sensibly located buttons and controls, including the handy multi selector and mode dial
- Quality optical viewfinder features diopter correction and information display.
- New large 2.0-inch LCD monitor located directly below the viewfinder displays the large fonts of the easy-to-view, easy-to-understand menu design, and the intuitive help system dialogs that make understanding camera settings easy.
- Versatile LCD playback options include Single image playback, Thumbnail image playback
(4 or 9 pictures at a time), Zoom playback, Slide show, easy Histogram indication for determining highlights and shadow values, and Highlight point displays for even quicker highlight information, with automatic image rotation for vertical shots
- LCD control panel on camera top makes it easy to confirm settings and camera status.
- Long-life rechargeable lithium-ion battery with power to shoot up to 2,000 images††
on a single charge.
- Custom Settings for personalizing camera operation to match the individual's
shooting style, or different picture taking conditions.
- Wireless remote control of the D50 is available with the optional ML-L3 remote control.
Easy image handling
- New Small Picture function for saving photos within the camera at the reduced sizes of 640x480, 320x240, or 160x120 for Internet use - either for mail attachments or placement on web pages.
- In-camera page setup support makes it easy to print directly from the D50 to any PictBridge compatible printer via the supplied USB cable.
- Up to 36 alphanumeric characters can be entered in each image's EXIF header
(file information) for personalized identification when images are viewed on a computer.
- Video connector and supplied video cable makes it easy to connect the D50
directly to a television for playing slideshows or viewing individual images
Creative and versatile system components
- High-quality Nikkor lenses: The unrivalled performance of AF, AF-S and DX Nikkor lenses greatly expands creative possibilities.
- Built-in auto pop-up flash features exclusive i-TTL flash control, fast 1/500 sec.
flash sync shutter speed, and coverage for lenses as wide as 18mm.
- Supports Nikon's Creative Lighting System when using a SB-800 and SB-600 Speedlight mounted on the ISO flash shoe for additional on camera flash output in large rooms, or for longer distance shooting situations. Also allows off-camera multiple flash lighting with iTTL Technology with SB-800 and SB-600.
- Integrated Nikon Software Solutions:
Nikon Capture 4 (Ver. 4.3) with Capture Control is an optional software that provides a comprehensive image processing and remote camera control package that supports all Nikon NEF††† (RAW), TIFF and JPEG data. Among other features, the package offers Image Dust Off sensor dust and particle shade removal control, D-Lighting for scene-specific automatic dodge and burn control, the LCH editor, plus a wide selection of high-precision tools that extend every opportunity to perform effective image processing in-computer while creating the idealized archive file.
PictureProject is Nikon's versatile software that extends the enjoyment of photography
into your computer. Simplified image transfer helps move images easily from camera to computer, where PictureProject's intuitive interface lets photographers effectively organize and edit, apply selected effects, design album page layouts, or share their images. Adding
to the fun, a complimentary copy is included with the purchase of any Nikon digital camera. The combination of direct printing with Pictbridge technology and in-computer PictureProject technology empowers users with great picture performance.
Optional Plug-in software can be added to PictureProject for added creativity. Plug-in software that will prove useful to any photographer includes nik Colour Efex Pro filters and Muvee –software that enables you to prepare very creative slide show presentations with special effects, music added and more.
† Using JPEG NORMAL - Large settings, and a SanDisk Ultra II SD Card (256MB). The number of continuous shots possible in a single burst may be fewer depending on the type of SD card used.
†† 2,000 images per charge achieved under following test conditions:
Fully charged EN-EL3 battery; temperature of 20°C (68°F); Zoom-Nikkor AF-S DX 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G SG IF ED lens; continuous shooting mode; continuous-servo autofocus; image quality set to JPEG BASIC; image size set to Medium; shutter speed 1/250 sec.; shutter release pressed halfway for three seconds and focus cycled from infinity to minimum range three times with each shot; monitor turned on for five seconds after six shots and then turned off; cycle repeated once exposure meters have turned off.
††† NEF images taken with the D50 require Nikon Capture 4 (Ver. 4.3) or later.
Back to top