The Nikon Z7 is Nikon’s first step into the mirrorless camera body world. This compact and robust high-resolution FX-format mirrorless body houses an incredible 45.7MP BSI CMOS sensor and EXPEED 6 Image Processing Engine, delivering some of the best image quality and speed on the market. The camera has a native ISO range of 64-25600, enabling it to demonstrate it’s true power when light levels diminish. Nikon’s Z-mount features a large diameter design with a short 16mm flange distance which allows for Nikon’s advanced and compact Z-mount lenses. An intelligent on-sensor phase-detect autofocus system uses 493 points that cover 90% of the frame, and this works in tandem with Nikon’s 5-axis VR technology that provides stabilised photos and video no matter the lens you use.
Nikon Z7 Key Features:
- 45.7MP FX-Format BSI CMOS Sensor
- EXPEED 6 Image Processing Engine
- UHD 4K30 Video; N-Log & 10-Bit HDMI Out
- 493-Point Phase-Detect AF System
- ISO range of 64-25,600
- 3690K dot, Quad-VGA, 3690K dots EVF
- 100% EVF frame coverage
- Tilting, touch operational, 3.2" rear LCD screen
- A single CFexpress Type B / XQD card slot
- Shutter speeds of 1/8000 to 30s, x200
- 9fps Continuous shooting (extended)
- A vast ISO range of 64-25,600
- 4K UHD, Full-HD Time-lapse functionality
- Exposure smoothing and silent shooting
- Tilting, touch operational, 3.2" rear LCD screen
- Long-lasting battery life of up to 330 shots
An Incredible Sensor and Processor
Nikon has taken elements from their DSLR lineup and improved the low light performance. This has been developed and implemented into the Nikon Z7 body with a back-illuminated 45.7MP full-frame CMOS sensor. The back-illumination of a sensor increases the amount of light that the camera can capture, in turn increasing low light capabilities. The sensor is capable of capturing a truly amazing amount of detail and also provides fast readout speeds that aid continuous shooting, video footage and time-lapse recording. Furthermore, unlike other sensors, this sensor has no optical low-pass filter which in turn, achieves greater sharpness and resolution.
To aid the sensor, Nikon has equipped an EXPEED 6 Image Processing Engine. This newly designed processor for Nikon’s Z-series lineup provides incredible speed through the camera. Designed to handle anything you can throw at it, and the ability to shoot continuously at 9 fps in raw.
A Hybrid Camera
Capable of both high-quality stills and video, the Nikon Z7 truly is an all-round camera. The improved AF system is perfect for both disciplines, while continuous shooting at speeds of up to 9fps ensures it can handle pretty much anything a photographer can throw at it. Video users have a wealth of features to sink their teeth into as well, with 4K30p, 120fps slow motion in Full HD, and even the option to record a 10-bit 4:2:2 signal externally via HDMI. Nikon have also included their proprietary N-Log gamma profiles preinstalled, providing even greater freedom in post-production.
In-body Image Stabilisation & Ergonomics
When using the Nikon Z7 with one of Nikon's VR lenses, you can benefit from up to 5-stops of image stabilisation, thanks to the camera's 5-axis in-body image stabilisation. Even without a VR compatible lens, the camera alone offers up to 3-stops. Ergonomically designed for peak comfort and usability, the camera's buttons, dials, and functions have been deliberately positioned for ease of use over extended periods of time. An LCD is also present on the top of the camera body, allowing users to check their camera settings at a glance.
4K UHD Video Recording
The Nikon Z7 isn’t just a camera for stills; it’s a powerhouse when it comes to video. Utilising the incredible sensor and processor duo, the Nikon Z7 is capable of 4K UHD Video Recording. Let’s pick that apart a little bit: So, that’s UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) shooting in either the full-frame area or a DX crop area in 30p, 25p, or 24p frame rates. You can also shoot full HD 1080p video which supports up to 120p for slow-motion playback. All of this can be saved directly to in-camera CFexpress Type B or XQD card, or as an uncompressed file to
an external recorder via HDMI out.
The camera is equipped with several advanced video functions that further boost the performance and quality of the final product. N-Log gamma is used to capture flat-looking footage that maximises dynamic range and there’s a high-quality output of 10-bit data over HDMI for external recorders. You have the option to use manual focus that is aided by focus peaking, and there’s a Zebra Stripes option that helps you detect over-exposure in your film.
There’s more - With the Z7, you can also produce truly beautiful 8K time-lapses using the Interval Timer Mode or in-camera 4K time-lapse movies. You can record up to 9999 exposures using either mode! The Z7 also features a silent interval timer that produces no shutter noise and doesn’t wear on the shutter mechanism. It’s energy-efficient and maximises your camera’s battery life.
An Advanced AF System
The Nikon Z7 has an advanced autofocus system that features 493 phase-detect autofocus points that cover 90% of the image area both vertically and horizontally. This AF system offers impressively fast and accurate AF performance when shooting either stills of videos. The wide coverage area is combined with the camera’s subject tracking, face- and eye-detection, resulting in a comprehensive autofocusing system that can cater to a large range of shooting disciplines. Furthermore, when it comes to video, you have the option to choose hybrid AF which automatically switches between phase and contrast-detect which provides smoother focusing whilst filming.
What Our Experts Say:
Why We Love the Nikon Z7:
- The new Z7 offers great low-light performance as well as high resolution with a 45.7MP back-illuminated sensor, delivering fantastic image quality.
- The design of the Z7 is ergonomically comfortable and makes for great ease of use when shooting stills or video.
- 493 AF points across 90% of the sensor ensure the Z7 can track subjects efficiently.
Use this camera for:
- The Nikon Z7 is a versatile body and its high-resolution sensor lends itself to be used in any work where detail is key. The incredible image quality available makes this camera perfect for landscape, commercial, portraits, weddings and much more.
- The hybrid nature of the Z7 makes this mirrorless body a brilliant companion to the hybrid shooter who values great video as well as high-resolution stills. With the Z7’s capability of being able to shoot 4K30P and slow-motion in 1080P at 120fps, anybody who would like to be capturing stills and video in one, compact body, can certainly do so with the Z7.
Look and feel:
- The Z7 is classically styled, understated, with a premium feel. It ditches the bulkiness of Nikon’s DSLR series and offer’s users something far sleeker and more compact, but with the same operational usability of Nikon’s popular models.
- With many manual controls accessible through well-placed buttons and dials, you won’t need to spend too much time menu surfing to change your settings.
This section was written by Amy Moore, Wex’s very own camera expert.
What's in the box?
- 1 x Nikon Z 7 Mirrorless Digital Camera
- 1 x Nikon EN-EL15b Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery
- 1 x Nikon MH-25A Battery Charger for EN-EL15 Li-Ion Battery
- 1 x Nikon EH-7P Charging AC Adapter
- 1 x Nikon UC-E24 USB Cable
- 1 x HDMI/USB Cable Clip
- 1 x Nikon BS-1 Hot Shoe Cover for Nikon SLR Cameras
- 1 x Nikon AN-DC19 Camera Strap
- 1 x Nikon BF-N1 Body Cap
- 1 x Nikon DK-29 Rubber Eyecup
Nikon Z7 Kit Variants:
Nikon Z7 Product Videos:
Nikon Z7 | Full-Frame Mirrorless Hands-On Field Test
Nikon Z 6 and Z 7 | Full-Frame Mirrorless Cameras and Z Mount Lenses
Nikon Z7 Sample Images:
Images taken by our very own Amy Moore
Q: Should I get the Nikon Z6 or Z7?
A: This is very dependent on your style of photography. The Nikon Z7 is capable of shooting up to an impressive 9fps in continuous shooting mode whereas the Nikon Z6, has a lower resolution to process and because of this, it can shoot up to a faster 12fps. This makes the Z6 the more ideal camera for sports and wildlife photographers. The Z7, with it’s larger and higher resolution sensor, makes it a great camera to use for landscape photography where you can draw in as much detail as possible.
Q: Does the Nikon Z7 have a touch screen LCD?
A: Yes! It features a stunning 3.2" 2.1m-dot tilting touchscreen LCD that enables you to experiment with your photography, capturing low-angle perspective shots and high up images all with full touch-tracking capabilities.
Q: Does the Nikon Z7 support GPS or Geotagging?
A: No, there Nikon Z7 does not support GPS or geotagging. Because of this, the best move would be to get a GPS smartphone app that will sync with your post-processing software.
Back to top
Spread the Cost
Spread the cost of this item over 12 months. With a 0% finance, no deposit and monthly repayments by direct debit this option is simple to manage. Please see the repayment example below to see how much purchasing this item on finance would cost.
|Item Value (Cash Price)
|Total Amount Credit
||11 x £224.92
|Total Amount Payable
|Annual Rate of Interest
Are you eligible for finance?
Applicants must be:
- Aged 18 years or older from the application date
- In permanent UK residence for a minimum of three years
- Fulfil at least one of the following employment criteria:
- In regular, permanent employment.
- Retired from regular employment - With a minimum age of 50.
- Not working through disability.
Note: All applicants will be subject to a credit reference check by the lender.
Credit is subject to application and status. Warehouse Express Ltd trading as Wex Photo Video act as credit broker and not the lender. Barclays Partner Finance act as the lender.
How does it work?
Where a qualifying product is added to your basket, the full value of your basket, including any accessories purchases, will be eligible for interest free credit. This is subject to the value of the additional products not exceeding the value of the qualifying product. No deposit is required and payments will be collected by direct debit in monthly instalments, the first instalment being collected 30 days after shipment of the product.
What will I receive from the finance provider (lender)?
Barclays Partner Finance will send a loan agreement pack approximately four weeks after delivery of the goods, confirming that the account has been activated and, from this point, it is possible to make repayments against the loan.
For further information on how our finance product work, see our Finance help section.
Back to top
† Once your application has been accepted, usually within minutes, we will immediately dispatch your equipment.