The Pentax 645Z is a professional medium format digital SLR with an extremely large 51.4-megapixel CMOS sensor to deliver high-resolution images with true-to-life colour and detail. Featuring a water-resistant, dust-proof construction, the Pentax 645Z offers a wide ISO range of ISO 100-204,800, a tiltable 3.2" LCD, 3 fps continuous shooting, dual SD card slots, and Full HD video.
Key Features: Pentax 645Z Medium Format Camera - Body Only
- 51-megapixel CMOS sensor
- ISO 204,800
- Full HD movie
- 3.2" Tiltable LCD monitor
- LiveView shooting still & movie
- New SAFOX XI autofocus system
- Dust Removal II
- Dual SD card slot
- Weather resistant body, kit lens and flash
- Rigid magnesium alloy body, shutter durability
The main features in detail:
1. Super-high-resolution images made possible by approximately 51.4 effective megapixels
The PENTAX 645Z features a high-performance CMOS image sensor, with an imaging area (43.8mm x 32.8mm) approximately 1.7 times larger than that of a 35mm full-size sensor. By combining this sensor with the PRIME III imaging engine - with its advanced image-processing and noise-reduction capabilities and anti-aliasing filter-less design - the 645Z makes full use of the imaging power and approximately 51.4 effective megapixels to deliver super-high resolution and exceptional depth rendition. Since the 645Z effectively minimizes annoying noise during high-sensitivity shooting, the photographer can comfortably take pictures even at super-high sensitivities up to ISO 204800. This provides the photographer with totally new creative options beyond the scope of existing medium-format photography.
2. High-speed response to accommodate professional demands
The 645Z continuously records as many as 10 images in the RAW format (or up to 30 images in the JPEG: L) at a maximum speed of approximately three images per second. It also offers quick-view function, UHS-1 speed class compatibility for high-speed data storage (in the SDR104 bus speed mode; with a compatible SD memory card), and USB3.0-standard data interface for easy transfer of recorded images to a personal computer. Thanks to its high-speed response rivaling that of 35mm-format SLRs, the 645Z assures active, flawless shooting in a wide range of applications demanded by professionals.
3. High-precision AF system
The 645Z incorporates a newly designed SAFOX 11 phase-matching AF module with 27 sensor points (including 25 cross-type sensors). It also detects the light flux of an F2.8 lens to optimize focusing accuracy when using a large-aperture lens. Its wide AF working range of -3EV to +18EV (at ISO 100; at 23oC) to assure pinpoint focus with dimly illuminated subjects, which are difficult to focus accurately with the naked eye. Thanks to the new CMOS image sensor with high-speed data readout, it even provides a live-view function. This allows the photographer to make more minute focus adjustments using the contrast-detection AF mode on the live-view screen, or by magnifying the on-screen image.
4. Tiltable, 3.2-inch LCD monitor with approximately 1,037,000 dots
In addition to its wide-view design, the 645Z’s 3.2-inch high-resolution LCD monitor with approximately 1,037,000 dots (in the 3:2 aspect ratio) has a tilt mechanism to adjust the monitor angle, making it easier for the photographer to capture low- and high-angle images. Its front panel is made of tempered glass for extra protection. To optimize visibility during outdoor shooting, it also combines a unique air-gapless construction that eliminates the air space between the LCD layers to reduce the reflection and dispersion of the light, with an AR (Anti-Reflection) coating to minimize reflections on the screen.
5. Full HD movie recording at 1920 x 1080 pixels and 60i frame rate
The 645Z captures beautiful Full HD video clips (1920 x 1080 pixels; 60i/30P frame rate) in the H.264 recording format. Its large image sensor is effective in recording shallow-depth videos with an effectively blurred background. In addition to the built-in stereo microphone, it also provides a stereo mic terminal for external microphone connection and an audio level control function. It even provides interval video recording of 4K-resolution images (3840 x 2160 pixels; in Motion JPEG or AVI video format) to add a new dimension in creative imaging.
6. Solid, dependable body
Both the 645Z’s exterior housing and the LCD monitor frame installed on the back are made of sturdy yet lightweight magnesium alloy, while the chassis is made of diecast aluminum to optimize kinematic accuracy and thermal stability against excessive heat. The LCD panels - one on the camera’s top panel, another on its back - are covered with tempered-glass plates for extra protection against scratches. The camera is also designed to be extremely durable and dependable even in harsh outdoor conditions. It’s not only weather-resistant and dustproof with 76 seals applied around the body, but it’s also cold-resistant against temperatures as low as -10°C, while its dependable shutter unit has withstood a punishing operation test of more than 100,000 shutter releases.
7. High-precision exposure control supported by PENTAX Real-Time Scene Analysis System
The 645Z features the innovative PENTAX Real-Time Scene Analysis System, which consists of an RGB light-metering sensor with approximately 86,000 pixels and a fine-tuned algorithm. This system not only assures much-improved exposure-control accuracy, but also utilizes the data obtained by the light-metering sensor to further enhance autofocusing accuracy and white-balance adjustment. By accurately assessing the type of scene or subject using the light-metering sensor, the 645Z not only selects the exposure settings that are more consistent with the photographer’s creative intentions, but it also makes a clearer distinction between the subject and the background to assure more accurate control of a discharge level in flash photography.
8. Large, bright optical viewfinder
The 645Z features a trapezoid-shaped glass prism, in place of a conventional pentaprism, to assure compact dimensions. Its optical viewfinder provides an approximately 98% field of view to facilitate image composition, while the time-proven Natural-Bright-Matte focusing screen offers a sharp, clear viewfinder image for easier focusing and reduced eye fatigue, even during extended shooting sessions.
9. Smartphone-support functions*
By installing the optional FLUCARD FOR PENTAX 16GB O-FC1 memory card in the 645Z, the user can release the 645Z’s shutter, check the live-view image, and browse and download the images recorded on the card using a smartphone.
* This software supports smartphones operating on iOS6® or later and AndroidTM 4.2 or later.
10. DR II to eliminate dust from the image sensor
The 645Z comes equipped with the highly effective DR (Dust Removal) II mechanism to eliminate annoying dust spots on recorded images. By shifting the UV/IR-cut filter placed in front of the image sensor at supersonic speed using a piezoelectric element, this mechanism effectively and efficiently shakes dust off the image sensor. The 645Z also provides the Dust Alert system, which helps the user detect any dust particles clinging to the image sensor prior to shooting. Thanks to these user-friendly features, the photographer is assured of beautiful, spotless images, even when the lenses are changed in dust-prone outdoor settings.
11. Advanced, professional-grade features
- When the camera is positioned upside down such as in copying work and bird’s-eye-view photography, you can select "Auto Image Rotation mode" that allows you to automatically rotate the image 180 degrees on the camera’s LCD monitor or on a computer screen for easier viewing based on the selected position data
- The fine square grid on live-view helps you confirm the subject’s position in the image field during live-view shooting. You can select grid color from black and white
- Lock button disables the camera’s control buttons and dial to prevent the accidental shift of settings
12. Other features:
Back to top
- Dual SD card slots for memory card flexibility (compatible with SDXC, SDXC UHS-1 speed class in SDR104 bus speed mode)
- Flexible white balance control, with a newly added Multi-Pattern Auto mode
- HDR (High Dynamic Range) shooting mode, with RAW-format data filing
- PENTAX-invented hyper control system for quick, accurate response to the photographer’s creative intentions
- Attachment of copyright credits on recorded images; detection of image tampering using the accompanying software
- Automatic compensation of lens distortion, lateral chromatic aberration, brightness level at edges, and diffraction
- Compatibility with Eye-Fi wireless LAN memory cards
- Compatibility with USB3.0-standard interface accessories, with HDMITM (type D) terminal
- Digital Camera Utility 5 software included, to provide enhanced image-processing performance and speed using its newly designed engine
- Compatibility with IMAGE Transmitter 2 software, for easy transfer of recorded images to PC (optional; available soon)
Spread the Cost
Spread the cost of this item over 12 months. With a 0% finance, no deposit and monthly repayments by direct debit this option is simple to manage. Please see the repayment example below to see how much purchasing this item on finance would cost.
|Item Value (Cash Price)
|Total Amount Credit
||11 x £458.25
|Total Amount Payable
|Annual Rate of Interest
Are you eligible for finance?
Applicants must be:
- Aged 18 years or older from the application date
- In permanent UK residence for a minimum of three years
- Fulfil at least one of the following employment criteria:
- In regular, permanent employment.
- Retired from regular employment - With a minimum age of 50.
- Not working through disability.
Note: All applicants will be subject to a credit reference check by the lender.
Credit is subject to application and status. Warehouse Express Ltd trading as Wex Photo Video act as credit broker and not the lender. Barclays Partner Finance act as the lender.
How does it work?
Where a qualifying product is added to your basket, the full value of your basket, including any accessories purchases, will be eligible for interest free credit. This is subject to the value of the additional products not exceeding the value of the qualifying product. No deposit is required and payments will be collected by direct debit in monthly instalments, the first instalment being collected 30 days after shipment of the product.
What will I receive from the finance provider (lender)?
Barclays Partner Finance will send a loan agreement pack approximately four weeks after delivery of the goods, confirming that the account has been activated and, from this point, it is possible to make repayments against the loan.
For further information on how our finance product work, see our Finance help section.
Back to top
† Once your application has been accepted, usually within minutes, we will immediately dispatch your equipment.