The Pentax K-5 Digital SLR Camera features a 16.3 megapixel CMOS sensor with built in stabilisation. This in camera stabilising means that any lens mounted on the K-5 gets the benefit of image stabilising for blur free images. The CMOS sensor offers a sensitivity range from ISO 80 up to an impressive 51200, allowing for great shots to be captured even under dim lighting conditions. Along with a ...
The Pentax K-5 Digital SLR Camera features a 16.3 megapixel CMOS sensor with built in stabilisation. This in camera stabilising means that any lens mounted on the K-5 gets the benefit of image stabilising for blur free images. The CMOS sensor offers a sensitivity range from ISO 80 up to an impressive 51200, allowing for great shots to be captured even under dim lighting conditions. Along with a frame rate of up to 7fps, the K-5 also records full HD video which is easily composed using the large 3 inch 921,000 dot LCD monitor, which also offers Live View for still shooting. With 77 independent seals providing excellent dust and weather-proofing, the Pentax K-5 Digital SLR is a camera for all conditions.
Pentax K-5 main features
High-resolution, low-noise, true-to-life image reproduction
Pentax K-5 incorporates a new generation CMOS sensor, combined with the reliable PRIME II Imaging Engine, which produce high-resolution, rich-gradation digital images.
The K-5 also offers a wide sensitivity range, from ISO 100 to 12800, which can be expanded to ISO 80~51200. As the Analogue/Digital conversion is done within the sensor, the K-5 features impressive noise management.
Responsive, high-precision autofocus system
The K-5 embeds the same new-generation SAFOX IX+ autofocus system as Pentax 645D Medium Format camera, which features 11 sensor points (with 9 cross-type sensors in the middle) to assure pinpoint and fast focus.
K-5's new-generation sensor combined with high performance autofocus algorithms ensure accurate and quick contrast AF operation during Live View shooting. With the addition of a Golden Section display, the K-5 offers a choice of three different grid patterns to aid image composition.
Continuous shooting at 7 images per second
The K-5’s high-speed continuous shooting mode records up to 22 images (in JPEG recording format) in a single sequence at a maximum speed of 7 images per second, allowing you to take sharp pictures of active, fast-moving subjects.
Recording of Full HD-proportion movies
The K-5 captures beautiful, true-to-life movie clips in 16:9 Full HD proportions at a frame rate of 25 frames per second. This extends many of the benefits of high-quality SLR photography to the world of movie shooting. For instance, reduce the depth of field to make a subject stand out, or use different interchangeable lenses to create distinctive visual effects. The K-5 also allows you to add specific visual effects during shooting.
Compact, solid, functional camera body
The K-5 is exceptionally solid and durable, with a body of sturdy yet lightweight magnesium alloy, and a chassis of highly-rigid stainless steel. Thanks to the inclusion of 77 special seals, it also boasts a dustproof, weather-resistant and cold-resistant (-10°C) construction, assuring reliable operation even in harsh environments.
Bright, clear viewfinder with 100% coverage
The K-5 features a pentaprism finder with a 100% field of view which provides great visibility in outdoor shooting and improves the accuracy of focusing and image composition. It also comes with the renowned Natural-Bright-Matte focusing screen to assist you with manual-focus operation.
Shake Reduction mechanism with user-assisting options
The K-5 features the Pentax-Shake Reduction, which effectively compensates the effect of camera shake by up to 4 shutter steps to produce sharp, blur-free images. This innovative mechanism works with all Pentax lenses — even those designed for analogue cameras. The K-5 also features an auto level compensation function to assure effortless adjustment of horizontal alignment, and a composition adjustment function to automatically compensate for the camera’s inclination during handheld shooting — vertically, horizontally, and in the direction of rotation.
Large 3.0-inch wide-view colour LCD monitor
The K-5 features a large, high-resolution colour LCD monitor with 921,000 dots. Its wide-view design assures a clear view of the monitor image from 170 degrees horizontally and vertically.
Innovative image-processing functions to produce distinctive photographic expressions
- Custom image function for distinctive finishing touches
The K-5 offers a choice of 9 Custom Image modes, which allows you to easily select a desired finishing touch for a particular image in order to more faithfully express your creative intention or emphasize the prevailing atmosphere.
- Digital filters function
This function allows you to process recorded images and produce highly creative visual expressions without the need of a computer. You not only have a choice of 18 different filters, but can also apply different filters one after another to a single image to create more visual effects.
- Cross process mode with three options
The K-5 features the unique Cross process mode, in which the camera automatically shifts photographic parameters for each exposure to create eye-catching images with unique, dramatic colours — just like pictures treated with the cross process in film photography.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range) function
The K-5 features the HDR (high dynamic range) function to create one composite image with an extra-wide gradation range from 3 images with different exposures, without requiring a computer.
Back to top
- Electronic level function, with a newly added tilt confirmation tool.
- Extended-exposure NR (Noise Reduction) function, with a choice of Auto, On and Off modes.
- High-sensitivity Noise Reduction function, with a camera-dependent Auto mode and a user-adjustable reduction strength preset for each ISO setting.
- RAW/Fx button, for single-action switching of image file format, as well as for assignment and instant recall of a specific function.
- 77-segment multi-pattern metering system for extra-accurate light measurement.
- Dust Removal II mechanism, to shake dust off the CMOS image sensor as effectively as any other dust removal device.
- Long battery life, for recording of 980 images with full recharge.
- User-friendly Hyper control system, to flexibly and accurately respond to the photographer’s creative intentions.
- Dynamic-range expansion function, to compensate for both overexposed and underexposed areas.
- Automatic compensation of distortion and lateral chromatic aberration (available with DA-,DFA- and FA Limited-series lenses).
- CTE mode, to automatically adjust the white-balance level to emphasize primary colours of scenes.
- Attachment of copyright credits on recorded images.
- D-BG4 Battery Grip (optional) for extra power supply with an exclusive rechargeable lithium-ion battery or six AA-size batteries.
- Colour-specific control buttons/dials for easy recognition and quick access, based on the universal colour design.
- Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4 software package, including a RAW-data processing and browser application (based on the popular SILKYPIX RAW data processing engine developed by Ichikawa Soft Laboratory) and a browser application.