The Pentax K-5 II Digital SLR Camera Body is the successor to the Pentax K-5 and builds upon many of the advanced features the K-5 was popular for, such as its high-quality image reproduction and compact, weather-sealed magnesium-alloy build. The Pentax K-5 II houses a newly developed, highly sensitive SAFOX AF module which ensures excellent focus tracking, better performance in low light ...
The Pentax K-5 II Digital SLR Camera Body is the successor to the Pentax K-5 and builds upon many of the advanced features the K-5 was popular for, such as its high-quality image reproduction and compact, weather-sealed magnesium-alloy build. The Pentax K-5 II houses a newly developed, highly sensitive SAFOX AF module which ensures excellent focus tracking, better performance in low light conditions and improved AF accuracy, thanks to its ability to AF in a broader EV range (-3 to +18 EV). With its large 16MP CMOS sensor coupled with Pentax's PRIME II imaging engine, the K5 II delivers super-high resolution, rich-gradation digital images free of noise over a wide sensitivity range from ISO 100-12,800 (expandable from 80 to 51,200). The K5 II comes equipped with a 3.0” LCD (921k-dots) and a bright, clear optical viewfinder with a 100% field of view. Other features include high-speed continuous shooting of up to 7fps and full HD movie recording.
The Key Features of the K-5 II
- SAFOX X AF module
- 16.3 Megapixel stabilized CMOS sensor
- Weatherproof body with 77 independent seals
- Sensitivity range: ISO 80 to 51 200
- 7 fps high-speed continuous shooting
- Body only version - no lens included
The Pentax K-5 II Video
A new SAFOX X AF module for the top AF performance in its class
The K-5 II features a newly developed, highly sensitive SAFOX X AF module. Thanks to the unit’s high-sensitivity AF sensor, which performs brilliantly in low-light conditions, this new module offers a broad AF working EV range (-3 EV to +18 EV). SAFOX X can work with luminous flux based on F2.8 levels as well as at F5.6. This vastly increases the AF accuracy when used with very fast lenses. Coupled with an upgraded AF algorithm, the camera delivers exceptional AF performance, including such useful features as a select-area expansion function, which automatically tracks the subject even when it moves away from a pre-assigned select point. This function is enabled as the distance data is assessed when collected by neighbouring focus sensors.
High-quality LCD monitor with outstanding visibility outdoors
The K-5 II comes equipped with a 3.0-inch, wide-view, airtight LCD monitor with approximately 921,000 dots. Sandwiched between the front glass panel (which is coated with an anti-glare film) and the LCD screen is a unique resin layer that cuts down the reflection and dispersion of light to effectively prevent ghost images and greatly reduce loss of brightness. The front panel is made of tempered glass to keep it scratch free.
High-resolution, true-to-life images with minimal noise
With its large sensor measuring 23.7mm by 15.7mm with approximately 16.28 effective megapixels, the K-5 II’s latest-generation CMOS image sensor assures high-speed image data readout. By coupling this high-performance image sensor with the acclaimed PRIME II (PENTAX Real Image Engine), the K-5 II delivers super-high resolution, rich-gradation digital images free of digital noise over a wide sensitivity range — from ISO 100 to ISO 12800 in its standard setting, or from ISO 80 to ISO 51200 when expanded via a custom function.
Bright, clear optical viewfinder
The K-5 II features a glass pentaprism finder with an almost 100% field of view and approximately 0.92-times magnification (with a 50mm F1.4 lens at infinity) which provides a sharp, clear view of the entire image field and improves the accuracy and speed of both focusing and image composition. It also comes with the renowned Natural-Bright-Matte III focusing screen to facilitate manual-focus operation.
Compact, solid body perfect for outdoor shooting
The K-5 II’s exterior casing is made of sturdy yet lightweight magnesium alloy, while its chassis is made of highly rigid stainless steel. Thanks to the inclusion of 77 special seals in the body, it boasts a dustproof, weather-resistant and cold-resistant construction, assuring reliable operation even under demanding outdoor conditions and at temperatures as low as -10°C. The camera also features a dependable shutter unit that provides a top shutter speed of 1/8000 second and outstanding durability to withstand as many as 100,000 shutter releases.
High-speed continuous shooting
The K-5 II’s high-speed continuous shooting mode records as many as 30 images (in the JPEG format) in a single sequence at a maximum speed of approximately seven images per second. This allows the photographer to capture sharp, crisp images of active, fast-moving subjects, such as athletes, dancers and wildlife, with great ease.
PENTAX-original SR mechanism with user-friendly options
The K-5 II features the PENTAX-developed SR (Shake Reduction) mechanism, which effectively compensates for the adverse effect of camera shake with approximately three shutter steps, to produce sharp, blur-free images. This image sensor shift-type SR mechanism works with almost all PENTAX interchangeable lenses — even those designed for film-format cameras.** Thanks to its flexible design, which tilts the image sensor unit in all directions, the K-5 II offers several useful features to assist the photographer during shooting, such as auto-level compensation and image composition fine-adjustment functions. In combination with the optional GPS Unit O-GPS1, it also offers an ASTROTRACER function to simplify astronomical photography.
Innovative image-processing functions to produce distinctive photographic results
The K-5 II features a custom image function, which allows the user to easily select the desired finishing touch for an image. This function offers a choice of nine distinctive custom image modes, such as: Bleach Bypass, which creates a solemn visual effect similar to one used in motion pictures; and Cross Process, which produces eye-catching images with unique, dramatic colours. The K-5 II also offers 18 digital filters to add distinctive visual effects to images, without the need for a computer. The user can even apply several different filters to a single image to create more inventive visual effects.
Pentax K-5 II Video
- 77-segment multi-pattern metering system, for extra-accurate light measurement
- Customisable slow shutter speed NR (Noise Reduction) setting, with a choice of auto, on and off modes
- Customisable High-ISO sensitivity NR (Noise Reduction) setting, with a camera-dependent auto mode and a user-adjustable reduction strength preset for each ISO setting
- Electronic level function, with a vertical level scale
- Automatic compensation of distortion and lateral chromatic aberration (available only with DA, DFA and FA Limited-series lenses)
- CTE mode, to automatically adjust the white-balance to emphasise the dominant colours of a specific scene
- DR II (Dust Removal II) mechanism, to effectively shake dust off the CMOS image sensor using ultrasonic vibration
- PENTAX-original hyper control system, which swiftly and accurately responds to the photographer
- Dynamic range expansion function, to compensate for both whitewashed (overexposed) areas and black-out (underexposed) shadowy areas
- RAW data retrieve function, which allows the user to save an original RAW data of a newly taken JPEG-format image
- RAW/Fx button, for single-action switching of the image file format, as well as for assignment and instant recall of a specific function
- A choice of three grid patterns while in live-view mode, including “Golden Section”
- Long battery life, for recording approximately 980 images with a full recharge
- PENTAX Digital Camera Utility 4 software package, including RAW-data processing (based on the popular SILKYPIX RAW-data processing engine developed by Ichikawa Soft Laboratory) and a browser application
** Lenses compatible with this mechanism: PENTAX K, KA, KAF, KAF2 and KAF3-mount lenses; screw-mounted lenses (with adapter); and 645 and 67-system lenses (with adapter). Some functions may not be available with certain lenses.
Back to top