Sony's FX3 Full-Frame Camcorder is their most compact cinema line camera yet. Smaller than other cameras in the series such as the FX6 or FX9, the FX3 is well-suited to handheld, gimbal and drone shooting; even more so thanks to the powerful 5-Axis In-body Image Stabilisation (IBIS). The camera is designed to help you never miss a shot with an advanced internal cooling system that allows you to significantly extend your shooting time. The FX3 will record exceptional 4K full-frame quality video at up to 120p with minimal rolling shutter. Like its cinema line counterparts, it has outstanding low-light capabilities and 15+ stops of dynamic range thanks to its 10.2 MP Exmor R CMOS sensor and upgraded Bionz XR processor. This is complemented by a vastly improved AF performance and the inclusion of S-LOG3 and S-CINETONE picture profiles.
Sony FX3 Full-Frame Cinema Line Camera Key Features:
- Specifically designed for solo-shooting
- A 10.2 MP full-frame back-illuminated CMOS Exmor R sensor
- Sony's powerful, redesigned Bionz XR processing engine
- Capture stunning 4K QFHD high-frame-rate 120fps recording
- Take advantage of 15+ stops dynamic range
- XAVC-S 4:2:2 10-bit internal recording
- 4K 16-bit RAW output full HDMI terminal
- ISO expandable to 409600 for low light filming
- Professional expression with 16bit RAW, S-Log3 and S-Cinetone
- Use S-Cinetone for prized look profile inspired by VENICE colourimetry
- Fast Hybrid AF, Real-time Eye AF, Touch tracking AF & Custom AF sensitivity
- Rack-focus transitions and five settings for AF Subject shift sensitivity
- Strong and stable 5-axis in-body image stabilisation with Active Mode
- Impressive heat dissipation system for uninterrupted 4K 60p recording
- Compact & lightweight body suitable for handheld, gimbal or drone shooting
- Including a battery and memory card, the FX3 weighs just 715g
- Multiple thread holes to attach accessories without cage or case
- The camera kit includes a Sony XLR handle
Please Note: This kit does not include a lens.
Expanded Sony FX3 Full-Frame Cinema Line Camera Key Features:
Every effort has been made to provide the highest-level and most accurate autofocus from a Sony cinema camera yet, which in turn will help you create compelling and professional-level films. The FX3 effortlessly tracks moving subjects with pin-sharp accuracy, and this is maintained even when using wide apertures meaning you can utilise the shallow depth of field control that the full-sensor brings. The FX3 also features advanced fast hybrid autofocus which combines phase-detection autofocus which results in fast, accurate subject tracking, with contrast autofocus which provides exceptional focus accuracy.
The FX3 is also equipped with highly advanced face detection that will find and lock onto your subjects allowing you to focus on framing your scene. In addition, like Sony's FX6, the FX3 features five-level autofocus subject shift sensitivity. This ranges from locked on, ignoring other moving subjects in the scene, to active response which will switch focus to different subjects which is ideal for sports where the focus needs to be shifted from one player to another.
You can take advantage of the FX3's 15+ stops of dynamic range which in turn, provides complete creative freedom for colour grading and post-production. This wide range, combined with reliable 4K 4:2:2 10-bit internal recording, allows you to focus on the framing of your scene knowing that every detail and nuance will be captured.
To meet the requirements of modern content creators, the FX3 enables cinematic expression with 16bit RAW, S-Log3 and S-Cinetone. The use of S-Cinetone provides a range of professional tones developed with the same expertise as Sony's world-leading VENICE digital cinematography camera. You'll capture rich midrange colours with a soft tonal look that invigorates facial tones. Another benefit of S-Cinetone is that your footage will exhibit these tonal and visual highlights straight-out-of-camera and thanks to the FX3's high-performance sensor, your vide will retain latitude in post-production.
Versatile Body & Shooting
With a similar build to Sony's A7S III, this camera is designed for versatile and flexible shooting. As you'd expect from most new and high-profile cameras, the FX3 features strong and stable 5-Axis in-body image stabilisation which will enhance any video recording that isn't shot whilst using a tripod or gimbal. This IBIS system is complemented by an overall compact and surprisingly small form factor which in turn makes this camera ideal for handheld, gimbal and even drone shooting, offering the flexibility and manoeuvrability to create dramatic, engaging films. Interestingly, the FX3 features no electronic viewfinder (EVF) which is an intentional design step to help reduce the size of the unit.
What's more, the FX3 is equipped with an advanced heat dissipation system which offers no overheating for hours of uninterrupted 4K 60p recording. Also, the camera features multiple thread holes across the body which allows you to attach accessories without a cage, adding to the compact nature of this cinema line camera.
The XLR Handle
This kit included the Sony XLR-K3M handle which is a dual-channel digital XLR audio adapter that allows you to connect microphones and other audio sources to cameras equipped with a Multi Interface Shoe. The adapter is able to produce an exceptional quality digital audio stream directly to the camera through the Multi Interface Shoe. This handle features two XLR-1/4" combo mic/line inputs with 48V phantom power, and a 3.5mm stereo input with plug-in power, all with individual level controls.
Why we love the Sony FX3:
- It has an excellent variety of resolutions and frame rates, with plenty of options for which bitrate you would like to shoot in. This means you can control exactly how you shoot, to meet the needs of your production.
- The FX3's excellent video autofocus, opens up new avenues for accessing certain shots.
- Dual card slots, that can take both CFexpress and SD cards, means you can use it with what you have now, and upgrade your cards over time.
Use this camera for:
- Any and all video shoots, this camera is so scalable, that it can be used on larger shoots, as a B-cam for the Sony FX6 or the Sony FX9. However, it is also perfectly equipped for more low-key solo shoots, such as music videos or event filming, due to its smaller size.
Look and feel:
- The FX3 essentially offers a cinema line interior, in a mirrorless style form factor. The small size and weight means it sits nicely in your hand, enabling you to be extremely mobile, and not alerting everyone to the presence of a large video camera - which is great for news gathering or events use.
- It comes with a top handle kitted out with dual XLR ports, eradicating the need of a cage on certain shoots, and providing another point of grip for handheld filming.
Is it better:
- The FX3 sits between the Sony A7S III and the Sony FX6 in Sony's lineup. It provides more shooting options than the A7S, for example the inclusion of S-Cinetone which makes it a perfect B cam for their Cine line bodies. It also works for anyone that wants some of the Cine line internal features, but doesn't want the large form factor of the FX6. So, it isn't a better camera, but something different which will perfectly suit certain shooters better than the other two models that sit either side of it.
We can't wait to test:
- Low light performance in real world situations.
- Video autofocus in a variety of shooting environments.
Sony FX3 Full-Frame Cinema Line Camera Product Videos:
New Sony FX3 | Cinema Line A7S III? | First Look
Sony FX3 | Introduction with Sam Pilling
What's in the box?
Back to top
- 1 x Sony FX3 Full-Frame Cinema Line Camera
- 1 x Sony Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery
- 1 x Sony Body Cap
- 1 x Sony XLR Top Handle