The Tamron 70-180mm f2.8 Di III VXD G2 Lens delivers standout shots for Sony full-frame mirrorless cameras. Thanks to its versatile 70-180mm focal range, fixed f2.8 aperture, and intuitive ergonomics, this lens gives users flexibility, agility, and stabilisation to adapt to shooting environments. The premium construction features 20 glass elements in 15 groups, producing exceptional performance.
Tamron 70-180mm f2.8 Di III VXD G2 Lens for Sony E Key Features:
- A telephoto f2.8 zoom lens for Sony full-frame mirrorless cameras
- Flexible 70-180mm focal range for everything from portraits to landscapes
- The world’s smallest and lightest tele-zoom lens*
- Premium construction featuring 20 glass elements in 15 groups
- Includes aspherical, LD, and XLD elements with a hybrid aspherical lens
- Wide, bright, & fast f2.8 fixed aperture great for working with low light
- High-resolution performance with well-suppressed aberrations
- Extended depth of field control with f2.8 maximum aperture
- Shoot close range with a constant 0.3m minimum focusing distance
- A 1:2.6 max magnification ratio helps smaller subjects fill the frame
- 9-blade aperture diaphragm for naturally circular bokeh
- BBAR-G2 Coating minimises flare and ghosting for crisp images
- Oil/water-repellent fluorine coating protects the front lens
- Dust & moisture resistant design with sealed seams
- Zoom lock switch locks the zoom at any indexed focal length
- Internal floating focus mechanism for speed and precision
- Precise, silent autofocus with VXD linear motor focus mechanism
- Agile tracking and operability, whether shooting still images or video
- Compatible with TAMRON Lens Utility software
*Among full-frame compatible, fast-aperture f2.8 telephoto zoom lenses with Vibration Compensation (as of August 2023)
Expanded Tamron 70-180mm f2.8 Di III VXD G2 Lens for Sony E Key Features:
Built to provide users with more flexibility, agility, and speed, the Tamron 70-180mm f2.8 Di III VXD G2 Lens features a staggering 20 glass elements arranged into 15 groups to deliver detail-rich clarity. Tamron utilises aspherical, LD, and XLD elements with a hybrid aspherical lens to reduce chromatic aberrations and minimise distortion, cementing this lens as a high-performing option. With a bright f2.8 aperture, the lens allows users to shoot in low light at lower ISOs or use faster shutter speeds to freeze movement. Bokeh also looks natural and circular thanks to the 9-bladed diaphragm.
Optimised for Video
Combining long reach with quiet focusing makes the Tamron 70-180mm f2.8 Di III VXD G2 Lens an excellent option for shooting video. Taking video optimisation further, the 70-180mm F2.8 G2 equips Tamron’s VC mechanism. This mechanism suppresses camera shake, which occurs with telephoto shooting, during close focusing, or in low-light conditions, enabling sharper results. The lens also minimises noise with the precise, silent autofocus of the VXD linear motor mechanism. Achieve cinematic-looking shots, whether filming from afar, using the shallow depth of field to make close-ups sing, or getting creative with longer focal lengths.
With a streamlined build designed to increase user agility, the Tamron 70-180mm f2.8 Di III VXD G2 Lens weighs approximately 855g and measures just 156.5mm long. Thanks to this, the lens is also well-balanced on Sony full-frame cameras. Operating the lens is just as easy; Tamron has added a custom switch and focus-set button to lock the lens to your required settings.
With a flexible focal range, users can also access flexible shooting conditions. The Tamron G2 uses BBAR-G2 Coating, which minimises flare and ghosting for crisp images. It also renders fine subject detail with true clarity and stunning contrast, even under backlit conditions. The front of the lens also has an oil/water-repellent fluorine coating and sealed seams for a dust and moisture-resistant design.
Tamron Lens Utility Software
The 70-180mm F2.8 G2 lens seamlessly integrates with Tamron's Lens Utility software. This in-house-developed tool allows users to modify lens settings, allocate camera body functions, and perform essential firmware updates as needed. This flexibility enables users to tailor functions to suit their still photography and videography preferences, resulting in a more personalised and gratifying shooting experience.
What’s in the box?
- 1 x Tamron 70-180mm f2.8 Di III VXD G2 Lens for Sony E
- 1 x Flower-shaped Hood
- 1 x Lens Caps
Can I use attachments with the Tamron 70-180mm f2.8 Di III VXD G2 Lens?
Yes, the Tamron 70-180mm f2.8 Di III VXD G2 Lens has a 67mm thread that allows photographers to use filters and other optional accessories.
How compact is the Tamron 70-180mm f2.8 Di III VXD G2 Lens?
The Tamron 70-180mm f2.8 Di III VXD G2 Lens is a compact, lightweight telephoto zoom. It measures approximately 156.5mm in length and weighs only 855g, making it easy to store and transport from one shoot to the next.
What types of photography are suitable for the Tamron 70-180mm f2.8 Di III VXD G2 Lens?
As an incredibly versatile lens with an ultra-wide to standard focal range, the Tamron 70-180mm f2.8 Di III VXD G2 Lens is perfect for everything from landscapes and travel to nightscapes and street photography. Its large f2.8 aperture and 9-blade diaphragm also naturally lend this optic to portrait work and close-ups.
How does the Tamron 70-180mm f2.8 Di III VXD G2 Lens differ from the original?
Compared to the original Tamron 70-180mm lens, the size remains compact, but this time with a lighter body weight of just 855g. This device has a new optical design for outstanding performance at all focal lengths. VC (Vibration Compensation) Image Stabilisation is an added feature for exceptional stability. MOD (Minimum Object Distance) is improved to just 0.3m at 70mm, giving an impressive 1:2.6 Magnification ratio. A custom switch, focus-set button, and Lens Utility Waterproof USB Port are additional new features of the lens's hardware.
Back to top