Filmmaker Pete Hutchinson shares his thoughts, having spent two weeks with the DJI Mavic Pro Quadcopter Drone on a recent trip to Indonesia
Note: You may be interested in the DJI Mavic 2 Pro
The drone features a 4K camera on a 3-axis gimbal, Wi-Fi connectivity up to a distance of 300m, gesture control, an obstacle avoidance system and the ability to track subjects. The compact drone folds down to just 20x10cm, making it an ideal choice when travelling.
Key Features: DJI Mavic Pro
- Folded, it is just H83mm x W83mm x L198mm, and weighs only 743g including gimbal cover.
- FlightAutonomy gives the Mavic the intelligence to avoid obstacles and hover precisely. It includes 5 cameras, GPS, and GLONASS, 2 ultrasonic range fingers, redundant sensors, and 24 powerful computing cores
- Inside the Mavic’s pocket-sized remote controller is DJI’s brand new OcuSync transmission technology, with a range of 4.3mi (7km) and Full HD 1080p video streaming.
- Satellite positioning can only help a drone hover in an unobstructed outdoor area free of interference. Without satellites, the drone will not be able to position and become susceptible to drifting. However, with forward and downward vision sensors, the Mavic can hover precisely indoors or in places without GPS.
- The Mavic is only 1/6th the size of the Phantom 4 but this reduction in size doesn't mean a reduction in flight time. The Mavic actually flies much longer than you would expect from its compact size. It is capable of reaching an absolute max flight time of 30 minutes and a maximum distance of 9.3 mi (15 km) due to its powerful, high efficiency motors.
- Mavic supports 4K video at 30fps. No Electronic Image Stabilization is used, ensuring all footage is 4K. DJI have created a miniaturized, ultra-precise 3-axis gimbal for the Mavic, capable of stabilizing the camera even during high speed motion for smooth video and sharp photos.
- Everyone loves a good photo. Whether you just want to take a snap or are building up your portfolio, the Mavic’s 12-megapixel camera with Adobe DNG RAW support is ready to shoot.
About the Author
Pete Hutchinson is a videographer and photographer based in London. Follow him on Instagram. He also runs Outsight Creations, a small production team specialising in the creation of travel and adventure themed content.