Canon EOS R5 Key Features:
- Designed for Pro-Photographers and Videographers
- All-New 45MP CMOS Image Sensor & DIGIC X Processor
- Captures up to 12fps on Mechanical Shutter
- Up to a fast 20fps using the Silent Shutter
- Recording stunning Full Frame 8K RAW video
- 4K video up to 120fps
- Canon's first In-Body Image Stabilisation
- Dual Pixel CMOS AutoFocus ii System
- Both CFexpress & UHS-II SD Card Slots
- New LP-E6NH long-life battery
- ISO Range from 100-51200 (Expandable to 50-102400)
- 5.69 Million Dot OLED Colour EVF
- 2 Million-Dot Vari-Angle LCD Touch Screen
- The Canon RF Lens Mount Fitting
- Free Use of Canon's Image Cloud Service
An All-New Sensor
The EOS R5 has been equipped with an entirely new and advanced full-frame 45MP CMOS sensor. The new sensor technology enables the Canon EOS R5 to capture incredibly detailed still photographs and stunningly sharp 8K video footage, all helped by the new DIGIC X processor. This new standard of high-resolution stills and video footage is accompanied by a blisteringly fast 20fps when using the electronic shutter and a whole 12fps with the mechanical shutter. This speed enables you to capture every moment, those split-second fine details of the action in front of you; the EOS R5 is packed with the power to shake up the camera marketplace.
Lightning Fast AutoFocus
When it comes to autofocus speed and subject detection, the Canon EOS R5 has it all. Canon has implemented their Dual Pixel CMOS AutoFocus technology, allowing the EOS R5 to make ultra-high-speed autofocus calculations instantaneously. The speed of this combined with the electronic shutter's 20fps makes for a formidable pair, accurately capturing fast-moving subjects with unbelievable detail. Taken from its cousin, the EOS-1D X Mark III, the subject detection in the R5 is able to acquire focus tracking on faces, heads and eyes with ease; making for an efficient shooting/filming experience. Furthermore, for the first time, Canon has included the detection of animals in the EOS R5. This will effectively and precisely track the whole body, face and eyes of cats, dogs and birds.
8K Video Footage
At the core of this camera is its ability to capture superb full-frame 8K 12-bit RAW video footage. The R5 is set to push boundaries of what filmmakers are currently able to achieve with DSLR and Mirrorless cameras. You're able to capture that 8K footage at up to 29.97fps, and 4K video at up to 119.9fps in either 4:2:2 10-bit (H.265) Canon Log or HDR-PQ (H.265). Of course, the Dual Pixel CMOS Autofocus is available in all 8K and 4K modes on the camera as well. The EOS R5's arsenal is so vast that you really can explore a whole new range of ways to record your story.
For the first time in Canon's history, they have incorporated a 5-Axis In-Body Image Stabiliser (IBIS) into the EOS-R5 camera body. It can work in tandem with Canon's optical stabilisers featured in the RF and EF lens series', offering an incredible 8-Stops of stabilisation (or 5-stops in non-OS lenses). This system provides pin-sharp, shake-free images and video footage.
A New Battery
Canon has introduced a new and more powerful battery for the EOS R5. The LP-E6NH battery adds 20% more capacity than older LP-E6N batteries. This enables the capture of, on average, 490 shots on a single charge. The new battery can also be charged in-camera via a USB-C connection (with 5V/1.5A power delivery), as well as the supplied battery charger. The EOS R5 is also able to take older LP-E6 and LP-E6N batteries, although you will not be able to access the very fastest shooting rates and in-camera charging that the EOS R5 offers.
With such a powerful new sensor and image processor, you'll need the means to shoot more and for longer. For this, Canon has included a combination of a super-fast CFexpress card slot and an SD UHS-II card slot, easily capable of recording large images and 8K footage.
Canon's Cloud Service
The EOS R5 comes with built-in Wi-Fi which can be linked with Canon's cloud service image.canon. Using the Wi-Fi and this cloud service, you can easily shoot and transfer your photos and videos directly to the cloud. It's also compatible with Auto Image Transfer so you can edit on the move or automatically download the images to your home computer to edit later.
What Our Experts Say:
Why we love the EOS R5:
- Shooting 45MP stills at 20fps with autofocus should mean some great, high resolution, shots - even when shooting action.
- Having dual SD and CFexpress card slots means you can use what you have already and upgrade your cards when you have the chance in the future.
- Up to 8 stops of IBIS will be great for shooting video and stills.
- The video specs for the R5 look fantastic, 8K 30P 4K 120P and the ability to pull 35MP stills from 8K video is really exciting.
Use this camera for:
- Portraits, landscapes, macro, video, the list goes on and on. Canon's Dual Pixel CMOS AF, paired with the high-resolution sensor, IBIS capabilities and features like portrait relighting make this a powerhouse for professionals.
- Videographers will be able to shoot high quality video as well as slow motion 4K footage, making this an ideal solution for hybrid shooters who are looking for a high-end output.
Look and feel:
- The new EOS R5 sits in the hand like a more streamlined version of an EOS DSLR (like the 5D Mark IV). The dials and buttons have a similar placement and the front grip is large. If you already shoot Canon this will feel new, but completely familiar. The body feels tough and looks to have a robust, practical, ergonomic style that shouts, ‘modern working professional'.
Is it better:
- Although the R5 isn't directly replacing any current model it does bring a strong set of specs to the table over a lot of its competitors. The ability to shoot 8K 12-bit video internally, IBIS up to 8 stops and 45MP images that can be captured at up to 20fps with autofocus.
We can't wait to test:
- The portrait relighting feature for editing in camera and sharing portraits.
- Hand-held long exposures using the 8-stop in body image stabilisation.
- Using 8K 30P video and then extracting 35MP stills
What's in the box?
- 1 x Canon EOS R5 Body
- 1 x Camera Cover
- 1 x Strap ER-EOS R5
- 1 x Battery Charger LC-E6E
- 1 x LP-E6NH Battery Pack
- 1 x Battery Pack Cover
- 1 x AC Cable
- 1 x IFC Cable IFC-100U + Protector
- 1 x User Manual
Canon EOS R5 Product Video:
Canon announces the new EOS R5 | Spec Overview
Canon EOS R5 | First impressions
Canon R5 Sample Images:
Q: Can you use EF lenses on the EOS R5?
A: Yes! But you'll need to get a mount adapter. We suggest the Canon Mount Adapter EF-EOS R.
Q: Will LP-E6 Batteries work?
A: Yes, they will work. However, the fastest shooting rates and in-camera charging that the R5 offers are not available when using an older LP-E6 battery.
Q: Does the EOS R5 have the EOS R's Multi-function bar?
A: No. Canon has removed this bar and replaced it with a multi-function controller. This was a conscious decision by Canon that offers a familiar eight-way control over AF points like that we know of on the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV or Canon EOS 90D.
Back to top