The Nikon 180-400mm F4E AF-S ED VR Lens is a super-telephoto zoom with built-in 1.4x teleconverter designed for Nikon FX-format DSLRs. It features a broad focal range from 180-400mm, which can be extended further to 560mm at the flick of a switch. The lens also offers a constant f4 aperture, VR and simple operation to adapt to the demands of professional shooting locations and situations.
Key Features: Nikon 180-400mm F4E AF-S ED VR Lens with 1.4x Teleconverter
- Professional super-telephoto zoom with Nikon's first built-in selectable 1.4X teleconverter
- Advanced optical design with 8 ED glass elements, a Fluorite element and Nano Crystal Coat
- Blazing fast subject acquisition and locked-on tracking, especially when used with Nikon's 153-point AF system
- Lightweight, durable construction with advanced weather sealing, internal focus and Nikon's nonstick Fluorine coating
- Next-generation Vibration Reduction (VR) system that starts immediately and includes three shooting modes
- Electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism that enables stable exposure control
Unpredictability has met its match.
Pros who spend time behind a super-telephoto lens know a hard truth: when you need a teleconverter, you often need it in a hurry. For these moments, Nikon proudly introduces the AF-S NIKKOR 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR, a super-telephoto zoom lens with a built-in 1.4X teleconverter. Capture sports, events and wildlife in lifelike brilliance from 180-400mm, then, without breaking shooting posture, engage the integrated teleconverter and increase your reach to 560mm f/5.6 (840mm equivalent on a DX body). Incorporating remarkable advancements in optical design, autofocus performance, Vibration Reduction and durability, this lens is bound to become the new standard for serious field photographers.
A NIKKOR Gold Series super-telephoto zoom lens unlike any before it
Combining Nikon's first ever built-in 1.4X teleconverter with a new optical design, advanced lens technologies and comprehensive weather sealing, the AF-S NIKKOR 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR can help pros shooting sports, wildlife and events perform at their absolute best.
A powerhouse for sports, events and wildlife
Harness speed, consistency, low-light performance and image quality across a versatile 180-400mm focal length range with a constant f/4 maximum aperture. Activate the integrated 1.4X teleconverter and increase reach to 560mm at f/5.6.
Capture amazing images in nearly any light, thanks to an advanced optical design that includes 8 Extra-Low Dispersion (ED) glass elements, 1 Fluorite element and Nano Crystal Coat for maximum sharpness and minimal distortion.
Nikon's first built-in teleconverter
When you're in the field, adding a teleconverter to a large lens can be a tense operation, especially when dust or moisture is present. With the AF-S NIKKOR 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR, its as easy as flicking a switch.
Blazing fast acquisition, locked-on tracking
The AF-S NIKKOR 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR draws peak performance from the 153-point AF system in recent Nikon DSLRs like the D5, D850 and D500. The sensors at the outer areas of the frame can be used as cross-type sensors*, drastically improving acquisition speed when a subject enters the frame. Enhanced servo drive control and higher-speed inversion of the Silent Wave Motor (SWM) improves tracking, even with subjects that radically change speed or direction. *This feature will be available with a firmware upgrade for the D5, D850 and D500 as of March, 2018.
Redesigned tripod collar
Smaller, lighter and more comfortable for handheld shooting and transport, the tripod collar also has ball-bearing smoothness for switching between horizontal and landscape shooting.
Assignable Function buttons
Activate AF/AE Lock, switch between AF Area Modes and more using the conveniently positioned assignable Function buttons.
Lightweight and durable
At 3,500 grams, it's lighter than comparable lenses on the market thanks to a Fluorite lens element, magnesium alloy lens barrel and Internal Focusing (IF) design.
Ready for tough assignments
You can't chase sports, events and wildlife without getting a little dirt on your hands. The AF-S NIKKOR 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR is built for the field with advanced dust and moisture sealing on all moveable parts, a rugged magnesium alloy lens barrel and protective front meniscus.
Nonstick protective coating
Water droplets, dirt and smudges wipe away with ease thanks to Nikon's remarkable nonstick Fluorine coating on the protective front meniscus.
Vibration Reduction, evolved
The AF-S NIKKOR 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR incorporates Nikon's latest Vibration Reduction (VR) design for up to 4 stops** of shutter speed increase, even when using the built-in teleconverter. This new VR system starts up immediately after powering on the camera, and it includes three shooting modes, including one for sports and fast action and one specifically for tripod shooting.
Back to top
- A/M: A/M stands for Auto-Priority Manual Mode. This mode also enables an easy transition from autofocus to manual during AF operation. However, mode switch sensitivity has been altered to reduce the possibility of sudden unintentional switching to manual focus while shooting
- Electromagnetic Diaphragm Mechanism: An electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism in the lens barrel provides highly accurate electronic diaphragm or aperture blade control when using auto exposure during continuous shooting. With conventional D/G type lenses, the diaphragm blades are operated by mechanical linkage levers
- ED (Extra-Low Dispersion) Glass: An optical glass developed by Nikon that is used with normal optical glass in telephoto lenses to obtain optimum correction of chromatic aberrations
- Fluorite Lens Element: Fluorite (FL), a lightweight mono-crystal optical material, has excellent optical properties while reducing overall lens weight to improve balance and handling, especially useful in longer focal length lenses
- IF Lens: A NIKKOR lens in which only the internal lens group shifts during focusing. Thus, IF NIKKORS do not change in size during AF operation, allowing for compact, lightweight lenses capable of closer focusing distances. These lenses will be designated with the abbreviation IF on the lens barrel.
- M/A: Select NIKKOR lenses have a focusing mode which allows switching from automatic to manual focusing with virtually no lag time by simply turning the focusing ring on the lens. This makes it possible to seamlessly switch to fine manual focusing while looking through the viewfinder
- Nano Crystal Coat: An anti-reflective coating developed by Nikon that virtually eliminates internal lens element reflections across a wide range of wavelengths. Nano Crystal Coat uses ultrafine, nano-sized* crystal particles to eliminate reflections inside the lens throughout the spectrum of visible light waves (380 to 780 nm) in ways that far exceed the limits of conventional antireflection coating systems. Nano Crystal Coat not only solves ghost effects caused by red light, which was incredibly difficult for previous systems. It also effectively reduces ghost and flare effects caused by light entering the lens diagonally. The result: clearer images
- Super Integrated Coating: Nikon Super Integrated Coating is Nikon's term for its multilayer coating of the optical elements in NIKKOR lenses
- Silent Wave Motor: AF-S NIKKOR lenses feature Nikon’s Silent Wave Motor (SWM). This technology converts "traveling waves" into rotational energy to focus the optics. This enables high-speed autofocusing that's extremely accurate and super quiet
- Vibration Reduction: A Nikon in-lens technology that improves image stability by automatically compensating for camera shake. Lenses that offer VR will feature the abbreviation VR on the lens barrel
Back to top
Camera Lens Type
Filter thread (mm)
Focal length (tele)
Focal length (wide)
Minimum Focus Distance (m)
||128.0mm x 362.5mm
Buy Now Pay Later
With the no deposit Buy Now Pay Later option, pay nothing for six months when you spend £250 or more, then either settle the cash price in full by paying a £29.00 settlement fee, or choose to spread the cost over 36 months at 19.9% APR Representative. Call us to place your order and you can also make a partial payment, the interest charged will be based on the remaining balance. Please see the repayment example below to see how much purchasing this item on finance would cost.
|Item Value (Cash Price)
|Total Amount Credit
||35 x £430.58
|Total Amount Payable
|Annual Rate of Interest
Are you eligible for finance?
Applicants must be:
- Aged 18 years or older from the application date
- In permanent UK residence for a minimum of three years
- Fulfil at least one of the following employment criteria:
- In regular, permanent employment.
- Retired from regular employment - With a minimum age of 50.
- Not working through disability.
Note: All applicants will be subject to a credit reference check by the lender.
The approval of your application depends on your financial circumstances and borrowing history. Warehouse Express Ltd trading as Wex Photo Video act as credit broker and not the lender. Barclays Partner Finance act as the lender.
Can I repay early? If so how?
No repayments are scheduled in the initial six-month deferral period. However, it is possible to pay off the loan, either by way of a lump sum or in smaller amounts. If the loan is fully repaid within the six-month deferral period, then no interest is payable, but a £29.00 early-settlement will be incurred. Such repayments may be made to Barclays Partner Finance by cheque, debit card or standing order. Unfortunately it is not possible to set up a direct debit within the deferral period. Further information on how to make such repayments will be set out in the loan agreement pack provided by Barclays Partner Finance.
What happens if I don't repay within the first six months (deferral period)?
Following the six month deferral period, Barclays Partner Finance will initiate a monthly direct debit payment for the remaining duration of the loan. Interest will be charged at a rate of 19.9% APR on outstanding balances (backdated to the first date of the loan). Late payment penalties and early repayment charges will apply from this point. Barclays Partner Finance will send a reminder letter approximately one month before the six month deferral period is due to elapse. Note: If you chose to spread the cost and pay monthly, interest is charged from the start of the loan, not from the start of the repayment period.
What will I receive from the finance provider (lender)?
Barclays Partner Finance will send a loan agreement pack approximately four weeks after delivery of the goods, confirming that the account has been activated and, from this point, it is possible to make repayments against the loan. You will also receive reminder letters and text at the end of the deferral period to remind you when your first payment is due.
For further information on how our finance product work, see our Finance help section.
Back to top
† Once your application has been accepted, usually within minutes, we will immediately dispatch your equipment.