The Nikon 180-400mm F4E AF-S ED VR Lens is a super-telephoto zoom with built-in 1.4x teleconverter designed for Nikon FX-format DSLRs. It features a broad focal range from 180-400mm, which can be extended further to 560mm at the flick of a switch. The lens also offers a constant f4 aperture, VR and simple operation to adapt to the demands of professional shooting locations and situations.
Key Features: Nikon 180-400mm F4E AF-S ED VR Lens with 1.4x Teleconverter
- Professional super-telephoto zoom with Nikon's first built-in selectable 1.4X teleconverter
- Advanced optical design with 8 ED glass elements, a Fluorite element and Nano Crystal Coat
- Blazing fast subject acquisition and locked-on tracking, especially when used with Nikon's 153-point AF system
- Lightweight, durable construction with advanced weather sealing, internal focus and Nikon's nonstick Fluorine coating
- Next-generation Vibration Reduction (VR) system that starts immediately and includes three shooting modes
- Electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism that enables stable exposure control
Unpredictability has met its match.
Pros who spend time behind a super-telephoto lens know a hard truth: when you need a teleconverter, you often need it in a hurry. For these moments, Nikon proudly introduces the AF-S NIKKOR 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR, a super-telephoto zoom lens with a built-in 1.4X teleconverter. Capture sports, events and wildlife in lifelike brilliance from 180-400mm, then, without breaking shooting posture, engage the integrated teleconverter and increase your reach to 560mm f/5.6 (840mm equivalent on a DX body). Incorporating remarkable advancements in optical design, autofocus performance, Vibration Reduction and durability, this lens is bound to become the new standard for serious field photographers.
A NIKKOR Gold Series super-telephoto zoom lens unlike any before it
Combining Nikon's first ever built-in 1.4X teleconverter with a new optical design, advanced lens technologies and comprehensive weather sealing, the AF-S NIKKOR 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR can help pros shooting sports, wildlife and events perform at their absolute best.
A powerhouse for sports, events and wildlife
Harness speed, consistency, low-light performance and image quality across a versatile 180-400mm focal length range with a constant f/4 maximum aperture. Activate the integrated 1.4X teleconverter and increase reach to 560mm at f/5.6.
Capture amazing images in nearly any light, thanks to an advanced optical design that includes 8 Extra-Low Dispersion (ED) glass elements, 1 Fluorite element and Nano Crystal Coat for maximum sharpness and minimal distortion.
Nikon's first built-in teleconverter
When you're in the field, adding a teleconverter to a large lens can be a tense operation, especially when dust or moisture is present. With the AF-S NIKKOR 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR, its as easy as flicking a switch.
Blazing fast acquisition, locked-on tracking
The AF-S NIKKOR 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR draws peak performance from the 153-point AF system in recent Nikon DSLRs like the D5, D850 and D500. The sensors at the outer areas of the frame can be used as cross-type sensors*, drastically improving acquisition speed when a subject enters the frame. Enhanced servo drive control and higher-speed inversion of the Silent Wave Motor (SWM) improves tracking, even with subjects that radically change speed or direction. *This feature will be available with a firmware upgrade for the D5, D850 and D500 as of March, 2018.
Redesigned tripod collar
Smaller, lighter and more comfortable for handheld shooting and transport, the tripod collar also has ball-bearing smoothness for switching between horizontal and landscape shooting.
Assignable Function buttons
Activate AF/AE Lock, switch between AF Area Modes and more using the conveniently positioned assignable Function buttons.
Lightweight and durable
At 3,500 grams, it's lighter than comparable lenses on the market thanks to a Fluorite lens element, magnesium alloy lens barrel and Internal Focusing (IF) design.
Ready for tough assignments
You can't chase sports, events and wildlife without getting a little dirt on your hands. The AF-S NIKKOR 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR is built for the field with advanced dust and moisture sealing on all moveable parts, a rugged magnesium alloy lens barrel and protective front meniscus.
Nonstick protective coating
Water droplets, dirt and smudges wipe away with ease thanks to Nikon's remarkable nonstick Fluorine coating on the protective front meniscus.
Vibration Reduction, evolved
The AF-S NIKKOR 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR incorporates Nikon's latest Vibration Reduction (VR) design for up to 4 stops** of shutter speed increase, even when using the built-in teleconverter. This new VR system starts up immediately after powering on the camera, and it includes three shooting modes, including one for sports and fast action and one specifically for tripod shooting.
Back to top
- A/M: A/M stands for Auto-Priority Manual Mode. This mode also enables an easy transition from autofocus to manual during AF operation. However, mode switch sensitivity has been altered to reduce the possibility of sudden unintentional switching to manual focus while shooting
- Electromagnetic Diaphragm Mechanism: An electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism in the lens barrel provides highly accurate electronic diaphragm or aperture blade control when using auto exposure during continuous shooting. With conventional D/G type lenses, the diaphragm blades are operated by mechanical linkage levers
- ED (Extra-Low Dispersion) Glass: An optical glass developed by Nikon that is used with normal optical glass in telephoto lenses to obtain optimum correction of chromatic aberrations
- Fluorite Lens Element: Fluorite (FL), a lightweight mono-crystal optical material, has excellent optical properties while reducing overall lens weight to improve balance and handling, especially useful in longer focal length lenses
- IF Lens: A NIKKOR lens in which only the internal lens group shifts during focusing. Thus, IF NIKKORS do not change in size during AF operation, allowing for compact, lightweight lenses capable of closer focusing distances. These lenses will be designated with the abbreviation IF on the lens barrel.
- M/A: Select NIKKOR lenses have a focusing mode which allows switching from automatic to manual focusing with virtually no lag time by simply turning the focusing ring on the lens. This makes it possible to seamlessly switch to fine manual focusing while looking through the viewfinder
- Nano Crystal Coat: An anti-reflective coating developed by Nikon that virtually eliminates internal lens element reflections across a wide range of wavelengths. Nano Crystal Coat uses ultrafine, nano-sized* crystal particles to eliminate reflections inside the lens throughout the spectrum of visible light waves (380 to 780 nm) in ways that far exceed the limits of conventional antireflection coating systems. Nano Crystal Coat not only solves ghost effects caused by red light, which was incredibly difficult for previous systems. It also effectively reduces ghost and flare effects caused by light entering the lens diagonally. The result: clearer images
- Super Integrated Coating: Nikon Super Integrated Coating is Nikon's term for its multilayer coating of the optical elements in NIKKOR lenses
- Silent Wave Motor: AF-S NIKKOR lenses feature Nikon's Silent Wave Motor (SWM). This technology converts "traveling waves" into rotational energy to focus the optics. This enables high-speed autofocusing that's extremely accurate and super quiet
- Vibration Reduction: A Nikon in-lens technology that improves image stability by automatically compensating for camera shake. Lenses that offer VR will feature the abbreviation VR on the lens barrel