Panasonic Lumix GH5 II Digital Camera Key Features:
Builds off the huge success of its predecessor, the Lumix GH5
An optimised design that is intended for professional video capture
A large 20.3-megapixel Digital Live MOS Sensor with AR coating
Enhanced image quality with upgraded Venus Engine image processor
Able to capture an incredible amount of detail of professional-quality footage
Internal recording up to 4K 60p & 4:2:2 10-bit 30p, or 4K/6K Anamorphic
The GH5 II is able to simultaneously output 4K 4:2:2 10-bit over HDMI
High dynamic range & a broad colour spectrum with V-Log L pre-installed
Wireless live streaming in FHD/60p via the simple-to-use LUMIX Sync app
Stable handheld shooting with a powerful Body I.S. (Image Stabiliser)
Smooth and stable video recording is even when the camera is in motion
A 3.0-inch free-angle LCD with a 3:2 aspect ratio & high 1840K dot resolution
User-configurable dual UHS-II compatible card slots best suit your workflow
A robust and rugged yet, lightweight and refined magnesium alloy design
An intelligent build offering effective splash, dust and freeze resistance
Expanded Panasonic Lumix GH5 II Digital Camera Key Features:
Tailored to Pro-level Videographers
When you think of the Lumix GH Series, the first thought is always going to be high-end video performance and pro-level videography. The GH5 II is no different, boasting a vast array of recording options, as well as offering internal recording up to 4K 60p and 4:2:2 10-bit 30p, or 4K/6K Anamorphic modes. This camera also makes use of the entire sensor area, which enables you to record uncropped video footage via the original viewing angle of the lens. The GH5 II places a clear emphasis on high dynamic range and a broadened colour spectrum. This is visible via the pre-installed V-Log L, which ensures a more efficient colour-matching process between footage recorded in S1H/S1’s V-Log and the GH5/GH5S’s V-Log L. To guarantee a smoother workflow within post-production, V-Log L renders an incredibly flat image that retains all applicable colour information.
The GH5 II’s integrated video toolkit is stacked full of functions, such as a Waveform Monitor and V-Log View Assist. There are even 35 compatible conversion LUTs for VariCam cinema cameras (free download), which provide a solid starting point for post-producing processing. Conforming to the S1H video flagship cameras of the esteemed S Series, the Lumix GH5 II consists of two varying types of Cine-like gamma pre-sets that can be found within the Photo Style menu. This includes Cine-like D2, which prioritises the dynamic range, whilst Cine-like V2 produces higher-contrast imagery. In addition, L.Monochrome S and L.Classic Neo are also accessible in Anamorphic mode. When in VRF (Variable Frame Rate) recording, C4K/4K 60fps, Anamorphic 50fps, and FHD 180fps are readily available.
Accustomed to the Demands of On-Location Shooting
The Panasonic Lumix GH5 II can be categorised as a proper adventure-ready camera system. It consists of a front/rear die-cast frame composed of a magnesium alloy, as well as having a dust, splash, and freeze-resistant body (down to -10°C). This is ideal for roaming image-makers looking for a hard-wearing, high-performance camera system that is at home in both the studio and the great outdoors. The shutter unit is also durable for approximately 200,000 cycles, with key upgrades being made to the 2200mAh battery (DMW-BLK22). As the integrated battery system now complies with USB PD (Power Delivery), you can recharge via either the AC or USB; a great new feature for on-location shooting.
To ensure high-end relay, backup, and allocation recording, the Lumix GH5 II integrates a dual SD memory card slot that is compatible with V90-classified, high-speed, high-capacity UHS-II cards. The cutting-edge free-angle touch LCD affords further access to an intuitive frame marker function. This lets you make small adjustments to composition in varying aspect ratios to include 16:9, 4:3, 1:1, 4:5, 5:4, and 9:16. When recording, the red frame indicator will become visible both on the LCD screen and in the EVF, whilst a newly integrated blue indicator confirms when the camera is streaming.
Intuitive Lumix Sync app
You can perform high-quality live streams with ease when utilising the Lumix GH5 II. This is all thanks to the intuitive Lumix Sync app, which is available on both iOS and Android systems. A maximum resolution/frame-rate of FHD/60p at 16Mbps is supported in concession with the RTMP/RTMPS protocol via the H.264 codec. In short, this guarantees reliable high-performance live streaming in the studio and out in the field. If you are more accustomed to wired live streaming, the dedicated Lumix Webcam Software is also available for free download.
For a more dynamic and custom creative workflow, the Lumix GH5 II integrates both Bluetooth 4.2 and Wi-Fi connectivity. Simply connect your desired smartphone or tablet to the Lumix Sync app, and you can then shoot, browse, and share images at the touch of a button. This is ideal for on-location content creators, with Bluetooth 4.2 providing a reliable connection with minimal power consumption. You can even replicate settings on various GH5 II systems wirelessly via the Lumix Sync app, or the SD card. When it comes to dual-band Wi-Fi connectivity, you are guaranteed a secure and stable connection to devices either on a 2.4 GHz band, or 5GHz-band (where applicable). In essence, this means that you can connect directly to a smartphone, but also to available routers or other network devices on location.
To further enhance the Lumix GH5 II’s plethora of high-end features and functions, a new software update is scheduled to become available by the end of 2021. This will include RTP/RTSP wired IP streaming, Live View Composite, USB Tethering (linked directly to a smartphone via 4G/5G) - compatible streaming distribution, and an upgraded smartphone connection. As well as this, you will be afforded the option to choose between a non-linear or linear setting for the focus ring.
First, the non-linear setting allows the focus to shift variably in accordance to the rotation speed of the focus ring. When in the linear setting, the focus will then shift at fixed intervals in relation to how far the lens has been turned. This essentially mimics the classic stylings of a manual lens, with key sensitivity settings in place between 90° and 360° at 30° intervals. This future firmware update will be compatible with the following lens-types: H-E08018, H-X1025, H-ES12060, H-ES50200, H-RS100400, H-XA025, H-ES200, H-HSA12035, H-FS12060, H-HSA35100, H-FSA45200 and H-FSA100300.
What’s in the box?
1 x Panasonic LUMIX GH5 II
1 x Body Cap
1 x Hot Shoe Cover
1 x Eye Cup
1 x Flash Synchro Socket Cap
1 x Cover for the Battery Grip Connector
1 x Shoulder Strap
1 x Battery Pack
1 x Battery Charger
1 x AC Adaptor
1 x USB Connection Cable (A-C)
1 x Cable Holder
Why we love the Lumix GH5 II:
- 6.5 Stops of IBIS, making for incredibly steady hand-held shooting. Using a longer focal length? This IBIS has your back!
- Up to C4K 60p in 10-bit for those cinematic shooters, and a huge range of other video formats to choose from.
- Variable Frame Rate of up to 180fps slow motion. A beautiful pace of slow-mo for anyone wanting to make those moments last.
- V-Log included – along with a solid range of other picture profiles. Overall amazing dynamic range in this camera with a bunch of options for those wanting great colours straight from camera or needing to reserve flexibility for the edit.
- Reliable, unlimited recording times across all video formats.
Use this camera for:
- Corporate and events videography. This camera is a high power, low form-factor build with all the features you need to make high quality audio-visual content.
- Live Streaming! Connect the GH5 II to your computer via USB-C and use it as a high quality webcam for your video calls and live streams. You can also pair it with the Lumix Sync App via your smartphone for wireless on-the-go broadcasting to your streaming platforms.
- Filmmaking drama & documentary. With all the 10-bit video formats, picture profiles and the anamorphic squeeze mode, this camera would suit an indie filmmaker who is on the look-out for stunning visuals at a lower cost.
Look and feel:
- The GH5 II, much like its predecessor, rests nicely in the hand. Buttons are well positioned around the body and the weight is comfortable for hand-held shooters.
- Size-wise, it is bulky. But this can be expected of a professional mirrorless camera body. Still, a great size for stowing in a backpack and exploring the world with.
Is it better:
- Although some of the differences from the GH5 to the GH5 II may sound minimal on paper, when put into practice, the usability and flexibility of the GH5 II is a welcome upgrade.
We can’t wait to test:
- Anamorphic squeeze mode for cinematic shooting.
- Seeing how the increased dynamic range holds up.
- Live Streaming out and about, away from the cities and in amongst some mountains! (4G/5G dependent of course)
Panasonic Lumix GH5 II Product Video:
LUMIX GH5 II | The all-purpose videography camera
Does the GH5 II have image stabilisation?
The GH5 II is equipped with a powerful IBIS system that can be used in tandem with newer Panasonic lenses, offering dual image stabilisation for even smoother video and shake-free still images.
Does this use the same battery as the previous GH5?
The GH5 II does come with the new battery that was launched with the Lumix S5, the more powerful Panasonic DMW-BLK22E Battery. However, the ones that shipped with the original GH5 are still compatible with GH5 II.
Back to top