Introducing the Sony A1 Digital Camera Body. This incredible new high-resolution 50.1MP model from Sony offers 30fps blackout-free shooting with AF that is double the speed of the a9 II. For video shooters, 8K 30P 10-bit 4:2:0 is available with up to 30 minutes of shooting before over-heating. For those more interested in 4K, you can shoot 120P at 10-bit 4:2:2 internally. In addition, this camera also features a wide 15 stops of dynamic for stills & 15+ stops for video. We also see the World's first EVF with 240fps, strong and stable IBIS, and a vastly improved AI-based real-time tracking performance. This is Sony's advanced and innovative camera yet and is guaranteed to send shock waves through the mirrorlesss-video market.
Sony A1 Digital Camera Body Key Features:
- 50.1MP full-frame Exmor RS CMOS image sensor
- Stunning 8K Video Footage at 30fps
- 10-bit 4:2:0 XAVC HS video recording with 8.6K oversampling
- Blackout-free continuous shooting at up to 30fps
- 15 stops of dynamic for stills & 15+ stops for video
- Sensor readout enables up to 120 AF/AE
- 0.64-type 9.44 million-dot OLED Quad-XGA EVF
- World's first Electronic viewfinder with 240fps
- Able to capture stunning 8K Video Footage
- 10-bit 4:2:0 XAVC HS video recording with 8.6K oversampling
- Blackout- free continuous shooting at up to 30fps
- Wide dynamic range of 15 stops for stills & 15+ stops for video
- Anti-flicker shooting with both mechanical & electronic shutter
- 5-axis optical in-body image stabilisation for a 5.5-step
- Rear tilting LCD touch screen
Expanded Sony A1 Digital Camera Body Key Features:
Designed for Speed
The Sony A1 is designed to help you to capture each and every moment - moments that would otherwise be missed whilst using slower mirrorless cameras. The impressively fast readout speed from the 50.1-megapixel image sensor and large memory buffer, allows you to capture 155 full-frame compressed RAW images or 165 full-frame JPEG images at up to 30 frames per second (electronic shutter). This incredible speed is matched by full AF and AE tracking even whilst shooting at the highest speed, all thanks to a calculation speed of up to 120AF/AE per second.
Lightning Fast Autofocus
Incredible AF performance has become a norm of any Sony camera release. But the Sony A1 takes this further. The camera offers 759 phase-detection points in a high-density focal-plane phase-detection AF system, and this covers approximately 92% of the image area. This vast coverage allows for accurate tracking of complex, fast-moving subjects with ease.
Sony's already-renowned Real-time Eye AF sees an upgraded detection performance by 30% of both humans and animal, and it doesn't stop there. Wildlife photographers and videographers will be pleased to hear that the Sony A1 is equipped with impressive subject recognition which will now actually respond to birds, locking on using the same Real-time Eye AF system. This particular system has optimised algorithms that are able to quickly adapter to birds sudden movings.
The Electronic Viewfinder
You might wonder how Sony can improve on their already advanced electronic viewfinders found in their Alpha series, but when it comes to the A1 - Sony has delivered. The electronic viewfinder (EVF) used in the Sony A1 has a refresh rate of 240fps - A World first. This unprecedented speed compliments the pace of which this camera has been designed to provide. The 240fps offers super-smooth playback of your video and the viewfinder will not blackout when an exposure is made, which in turn allows for seamless, uninterrupted framing and tracking, even continuous shooting.
Fast, Silent & Stress-Free
The electronic shutter system contributes to this impressive speed and professional performance of this camera. The electronic shutter operates silently, without any mechanical noise and is vibration-free. It offers silent anti-flicker continues shooting and thanks to this, it is now possible to capture stress-free continuous shooting even in fluorescent or flicker-prone artificial lighting.
In addition, the impressive high-speed readout from the Exmor RS CMOS image sensor has resulted in reducing rolling shutter by up to 1.5 times when capturing stills, when compared to the Sony A9 II. And another Alpha camera first sees the electronic shutter offering flash sync up to 1/200 sec, allowing you to truly take advantage of all the benefits of electronic shutters whilst using flash.
Sensational 8K Resolution Shooting
A first for the Alpha camera, the Alpha 1 provides 8K 30p 10-bit 4:2:0 XAVC HS recording, along with 8.6K oversampling for unprecedented resolution. This is a videographer's dream, combining Sony's renowned AF tech, gradation and colour reproduction performance, with 8K footage down-graded to allow for flexible 4K editing during post-production - What's not to like?
In-camera 4K recording at a max. 120 fps gives you the ability to shoot up to 5 x slow-motion video, whilst supporting 10-bit 4:2:2 recording. The Alpha 1 also incorporates S-Cinetone (an identical colour matrix that produces FX9 and FX6 colour and skin tones), delivering soft colours, intricate highlights, expressive depth and natural mid-tones within the image. 15+ stops of dynamic range can be achieved via the S-Log3 gamma curve, whilst the S-Gamut3 and S-Gamut3. Cine colour gamut settings are there to match the Alpha 1's video footage to that of pro-cine cameras such as the VENICE or FX9 to the Alpha 1 - Leads to improved coherency and harmonious detail.
Body Modifications To Improve Video Capture
Sony has covered every eventuality with the Alpha 1, building a heat-dissipating structure to keep the image sensor and image processing engine temperatures stable. By doing so, it prevents overheating and makes it possible to record 8K/30p video continuously for approx. 30 minutes - All within a stylish compact camera body. The Alpha 1's incredible 50.1-megapixel sensor is backed up by high-precision stabilisation unit and gyro sensors, as well as optimised image stabilisation (up to 5.5-step shutter speed advantage). For when handheld is the only option, switch to ‘Action Mode' to improve stabilisation. A digital audio interface has also been added to the Alpha 1's Multi Interface Shoe for crisper audio recordings when using Sony ext. mics, and 5.8K oversampled readout for high-resolution 4K movies in Super 35mm mode - We are only scratching the surface of what this Sony Alpha 1 can do.
Efficient Workflow For Professionals
The Sony Alpha 1 has been made with photo and video journalists in mind. For fast delivery of stills/moving-images, you are now given advanced connectivity options for reliable file transfers. These include the industry's fastest built-in wireless LAN for communication of 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands (3.5 times faster wireless FTP transfer speed than Alpha 9 II), USB Type-C connector, built-in 1000BASE-T LAN connector, and FTPS is now supported to ensure enhanced data security through encryption. As well as compressed and uncompressed RAW, Lossless Compressed RAW stops image degradation. A new ‘Light' JPEG/HEIF quality setting, HEIF format for 10-bit gradations, and the ability to trim images to the correct aspect ratio in-camera, add to the Alpha 1's incredible efficiency - Compatible with a range of apps, add-ons and tools.
The Sony Alpha 1 provides the reliability and durability demanded by professional image-makers. Two media slots supporting UHS-I and UHS-II SDXC/SDHC cards, as well as new CFexpress Type A cards for maximum capacity and fast read/write speeds. The magnesium alloy chassis is incredibly durable, with Z-battery (extended via optional VG-C4EM Vertical Grip). Also included is an improved dust removal feature, shutter close function when power-off occurs to protect the image sensor, plus dust and moisture resistance. The Sony Alpha 1 can cope with harsh shooting environments, with hard-wearing HDMI Type-A connector, and USB PD (Power Delivery) support. Both Touch Focus and Touch Tracking are supported on the updated 3.0 type 1.44 million-dot (approx.) LCD monitor, with revised menu structuring for efficient navigation - Customisable setting options to prioritise your individual workflow.
Why we love the Sony A1:
- Continuous blackout-free shooting at up to 30fps? That is something we didn't think we'd see for a while!
- Mechanical shutter flash sync up to 1/400th of a second is not only the fastest in the world but also, pretty amazing for commercial shooters out there.
- Although 8K is incredibly exciting (especially being able to shoot it for up to 30mins is pretty amazing), we're really excited for 4K 120P 10-bit 4:2:2 video internal shooting.
- We can't wait to see the images from the 50.1MP sensor - we've got a feeling they are going to be stunning.
Use this camera for:
- This camera has incredible versatility, but also quite a large price tag. However, if you need a reliable tool, that will be able to work as quickly as you can, then the A1 might just be for you.
- That high-resolution sensor means this camera would work well for shooting commercially, landscape photography and weddings. When you add 30fps continuous shooting, real-time eye AF, 1/400th flash sync on the mechanical shutter to the mix, you can see the A1 is also built for speed. That means sports, wildlife, fashion etc with these specs it seems like there isn't much the A1 isn't suitable for!
- For anyone shooting hybrid video alongside their stills the A1 allows you to deliver high-end performance without needing to carry a video dedicated camera as an extra in your kit bag.
Look and feel:
- Think A9 II mixed with a bit of A7S III. A nice deep grip will make the A1 feel comfortable in the hand, even when using some of the heavier G Master lenses. As always the body will be built to feel tough, with the dials and buttons all being familiar to any current Sony user.
Is it better:
- Yes, is the short answer. "Better than what?" is the real question. There isn't really a predecessor to this body - we haven't seen anything like it before. Being able to shoot 30fps continuously with 120 AF calculations per second is an incredible feat - as is the video spec on this new body.
- In our opinion, if you're someone looking for an extremely high-end hybrid camera; something that favours performance, not just in stills and video, but in the various branches within them i.e. resolution for landscape, speed for sports and wildlife, eye AF performance for weddings and fashion etc. then there isn't something out there currently which offers what the A1 does. The closest competitor is the Canon EOS R5 - and we can't wait to do a side by side comparison.
What's in the box?
- 1 x Sony A1 Digital Camera Body
- 1 x Sony NP-FZ100 Z-series Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery
- 1 x Sony BC-QZ1 Battery Charger
- 1 x Sony ALC-B1EM Body Cap for E-Mount Cameras
- 1 x USB Type-C to Type-A Cable
- 1 x Cable Protector
- 1 x Shoulder Strap
- 1 x Accessory Shoe Cap
- 1 x Eyecup
Sony A1 Digital Camera Body Product Video:
Sony A1 | Autofocus demo and resolution comparison
Back to top
How fast is the autofocus of the Sony A1?
From Sony's testing, the Sony A1's AF is found to be two times as fast as the Sony A9 II.
How long can you shoot at 8K?
The new heat dissipation structure allows you to record 8K/30p video continuously for approximately 30 minutes.
Loan Interest Bearing
This option comprises term loan with a choice of repayment plans over:
- 12 months
- 24 months
- 36 months
No deposit is required. However you can pay an optional deposit of not less than 10% of the total amount if you choose.
The balance of the finance agreement is payable directly to Barclays Partner Finance in equal monthly instalments by monthly direct debit. The direct debit payments will commence at the end of the first month following receipt of your goods. The interest rate charged is 14.9% APR. Late payment and early repayment penalties apply; full details of these will be provided in the loan agreement pack.
||11 x £618.19
||23 x £330.53
||35 x £235.25
|Total Amount Repayable
Are you eligible for finance?
In order to apply you must fulfill the following criteria:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be in full-time work (16 hours or more a week), retired, or in receipt of disability allowance
- Earn at least £6,000 a year
- Have been a UK resident for three years or more
- Have a mobile phone number
- Have an email address
- Have a UK bank account from which Direct Debits can be taken
- Have no outstanding County Court Judgements (CCJs)
Note: All applicants will be subject to a credit reference check by the lender.
Credit is subject to application and status. Warehouse Express Ltd trading as Wex Photo Video act as credit broker and not the lender. Barclays Partner Finance act as the lender.
How does it work?
Where a qualifying product is added to your basket, the full value of your basket, including any accessories purchases, will be eligible for interest free credit. This is subject to the value of the additional products not exceeding the value of the qualifying product. No deposit is required and payments will be collected by direct debit in monthly instalments, the first instalment being collected 30 days after shipment of the product.
What will I receive from the finance provider (lender)?
Barclays Partner Finance will send a loan agreement pack approximately four weeks after delivery of the goods, confirming that the account has been activated and, from this point, it is possible to make repayments against the loan.
For further information on how our finance product work, see our Finance help section.
Back to top
† Once your application has been accepted, usually within minutes, we will immediately dispatch your equipment.