Our pre-loved items are evaluated in-house by a team of experts who attribute a grade to each product depending on physical signs of wear and level of use.
Alongside our used grading system, we have several grades used to cover items that have not been pre-owned but cannot be sold as new, such as refurbished or returned items. Best of all, any used product bought comes with a 12-month Wex Photo Video warranty!
Below you will see our pre-loved grading system, what each grade means and how we determine why each product falls into that grade.
- The item is classed as appearing as new, with no marks or scratches.
- Very light markings on the lens mount and/or minimal dust on the optics or sensor.
- Pro-level cameras must have a shutter count under 10,000 actuations.
- Consumer-level cameras must have a shutter under 5,000 actuations.
- Complete with all original accessories and its original box.
Grade 9+ - Mint
- Items show a minimal number of very light markings.
- Items do not meet all the specifications for grade 10.
- Pro-level cameras must have a shutter count under 20,000 actuations.
- Consumer-level cameras must have a shutter under 10,000 actuations.
- Items may be missing their accessories or original packaging.
Grade 9 - Very light use
- Items show very few signs of use.
- Camera bodies show few cosmetic marks (screen, base, grip or eyepiece areas).
- Pro-level cameras must have a shutter count under 40,000 actuations.
- Consumer-level cameras must have a shutter under 15,000 actuations.
- Lenses show few cosmetic marks on the lens.
- Very little to no dust is present on the optic.
- Both bodies and lenses display next-to-no markings to the mount area.
Grade 9- - Shows light use
- Items show little signs of use.
- Some minor marks - no more than six individual blemishes.
- Marks found in common wear places such as the hot-shoe mount, rear. screens, the base of the camera due to tripod use and the lens barrel.
- Pro-level cameras must have a shutter count under 60,000 actuations.
- Consumer-level cameras must have a shutter under 25,000 actuations.
Grade 8 - Signs of use
- Items show more signs of use but are generally very clean.
- Items may show signs of peeling on the grips or the paint.
- Obvious markings on the rear camera screen.
- Lenses will show heavier signs of dust (that won’t affect images except at higher apertures).
- Pro-level cameras must have a shutter count under 100,000 actuations.
- Consumer-level cameras must have a shutter under 40,000 actuations.
Grade 7 - Moderate wear
- Items show moderate signs of wear and heavy use.
- Marks on the camera bodies and lenses will be obvious, the grip will be worn and paint wear will be pronounced.
- Missing items e.g. sync socket covers or lens hoods.
- Lenses show obvious dust throughout the optics.
- Heavy scratching/markings to the lens barrel and mount.
- Pro-level cameras must have a shutter count under 250,000 actuations.
- Consumer-level cameras must have a shutter under 100,000+ actuations.
Grade 6 - Well used
- Items are well used with scuffs and scratches on the body of the item, including heavy paint loss.
- Items show frequent and obvious signs of wear such as peeling of handgrips and wear to dial and button graphics.
- Both pro- and consumer-level cameras have a very high shutter count (no limit)
Grade IN (incomplete)
- Items that would need either repairing or could be used as spares.
- Unworkable scratches on the sensor or glass.
- Items that are not suitable for use in the current state.
- All items in the IN grade are excluded from the Wex 12-month warranty.
Grade OB (Open box)
- Items that have been dispatched to a customer, have been opened (seal broken) and returned within our 28-day returns policy.
- OB items appear as new with no signs of us but cannot be sold as new.
- Cashbacks or promotional offers do not apply.
- OB items come with a 12-month Wex Warranty.
Grade MO (Mail-order returns)
- Items purchased and returned as unwanted.
- Item will have been opened and show slight signs of use.
- May be missing a component or accessory (will be noted in description)
- The packaging may show slight signs of wear due to shipping or having packaging labels attached.
- We cannot guarantee that cashback or promotions would apply with the purchase of MO items.
- Refurbished by the manufacturer back to original working specifications.
- Internal workings will be refurbished but the exterior may show signs of cosmetic wear.
- B-grade stock may be classed under the refurbished grade e.g. ex-demo stock and can show anything from very few signs of wear through to heavier wear.
- Original packaging may not be present.
Any deviations from the grading system will be clearly and explicitly stated on the product page in the description. With the exception of grade IN, all products listed in our used section will come with the Wex 12-month warranty. For products that do not have their original boxes or packaging, we make sure the item is suitably packaged and where applicable boxed for safe and secure transit from us to you.
Tips & Tricks